Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need to know if I have to remove the gas tank on a 2008 sel Taurus to replace the fuel pump, lots of information on 2007 and older but can't find anything on a 2008

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I found that a 2008 Taurus has fuel pump access under the rear seat on the right side. That is the good news, the bad news is the fuel pump is working but car won't start. But give it a shot of starting fluid and it fires up, but quickly dies unless I keep spraying to keep it going. So I am sending it in to a mechanic for a proper diagnosis, I still suspect a bad fuel pump but I don't have a gage to check the pressure, and I can't keep throwing parts at it because it is mother in law's car, i already put new plugs and coils on it. Because it was missing when it pulled in my driveway, and I found the plugs were shot, this was before I found it would run and run smoothly if you shot fuel in the throttle body.

·
Registered
23,851 Posts
Well I found that a 2008 Taurus has fuel pump access under the rear seat on the right side. That is the good news, the bad news is the fuel pump is working but car won't start. But give it a shot of starting fluid and it fires up, but quickly dies unless I keep spraying to keep it going. So I am sending it in to a mechanic for a proper diagnosis, I still suspect a bad fuel pump but I don't have a gage to check the pressure, and I can't keep throwing parts at it because it is mother in law's car, i already put new plugs and coils on it. Because it was missing when it pulled in my driveway, and I found the plugs were shot, this was before I found it would run and run smoothly if you shot fuel in the throttle body.
Do you know if her '08 has a fuel pump driver module (fpdm) on the back of the rear seat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I honestly don't know, the pump is getting power though and the diagnosis is a bad pump, it is running and pumping but not enough pressure the mechanic says, it is going to be replaced tomorrow, I will let you know how it turns out. Btw, this 08 taurus only has 40,000 miles

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Well, if the the pump is running, that rules out the inertia switch and relay, lol.
If the pump can not make sufficient pressure, it will set a code. All from '02 and later use a FPDM and it regulates the pressure. The system adjusts the pump speed to provide the pressure at the engine fuel rail that the PCM wants. If t can't do that, it sets a code.
-chart-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts