Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Mercury sable. On most of the cars that I've had when I push the trunk button, the trunk lid opens all the way. However, on this car, it just unlatches and I have to open it manually. What's the norm?

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Just bought a Mercury sable. On most of the cars that I've had when I push the trunk button, the trunk lid opens all the way. However, on this car, it just unlatches and I have to open it manually. What's the norm?
Little lube on the latch works well. Do the same for the hood latch.
-chart-

·
Registered
240 Posts
My '95 pops up. I drove a '98 a number of years back that popped up. The other third gen that I drove for a while I think also popped up. And my Dad's '02 popped up.

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
111 Posts
Also right near the arms of the trunk there are slots with a rod going in there should be three of them you could also make it the spring which is basically a couple bars going across tighter which may help in making your trunk pop up further

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
At least on my taurus it would not pop up everything and it because the latching mechanism was made of pressed metal and over time the two metal shells squeezed together which didn't let the latch work freely; Easy fixed by spreading the two halves of the latch to free it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 Taurus (4th gen). My trunk lid usually pop up right up after hitting the release button, but sometimes gets stuck due probably to water, condensation, or even cold weather.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all... I know it's been a while since I've been on. I'm not seeing a rod with a spring on it maybe it's missing?

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Thanks all... I know it's been a while since I've been on. I'm not seeing a rod with a spring on it maybe it's missing?
Pic of mechanics. Red oval is the lever to the handle, green oval lever to the latch release.
It does not necessarily pop. You pull the lever and lift. The white box on the left of the opening in the pic is the electric unlock motor.
Key does the same thing in the button.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts