Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've have a chronic issue with my 2008 Mercury Sable; brakes. seem to always wear down pads rotors fast. anyway, for the last 5+ years my problem has been brake pedal sink. it's strange; press the brake pedal quick, kind of hard, it will catch up top and NOT sink to the floor. BUT if you very gently push the pedal down the pedal will go to the floor. car will still stop, but only 2 wheels are stopping it, I forgot front left/back right or visa versa. (I tested in snow observing traction marks).
In any case, everyone here will say MASTER CYLINDER, easy. but, I had a good mechanic look at it, install a master that I had purchased, and the problem was never solved; he was baffled. he said sorry and gave me the car back(he also installed an ABS unit). as a side note, he said he had a very hard time recreating the issue.. it took me awhile to.. to realize that only a very gentile push on the pedal would make it sink all the way. I'm guessing, as a mechanic, he was always hammering the break during testing.
So, my question is; if this is truly not the master cylinder, what the hell else could it be? and how do I troubleshoot?
thanks, 1st post! love my car!

·
Registered
20 Posts
If no leaks, it could very well be a failing ABS pump. Others have found stick dump valves. There is a recall for models of Fusions and MKS using this exact module but Ford has not (yet?) extended it to cover Taurus' and Sables.

·
Super Moderator
8,346 Posts
Was the new ABS assy (pump and valve body) properly bled? The correct way is to use a good scan tool to activate the ABS assy to bleed the air out. The "red neck ABS bleeding method" also works...… Take the car out on a gravel road or wet road with no traffic, and slam on the brakes to activate the ABS system. Do this multiple times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts