Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2008 Ford Taurus Limited Steering Shaft

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeff K 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,
The intermediate steering shaft on my 2008 Ford Taurus Limited needs replacing and I plan undertake the replacement myself. However, in my repair manul it states that a suitable tool is required in order to open the intermediate shaft boot clamp. I am not familiar with the tool that is required, consequently; I am using this medium to ascertain whether any of the members on this forum has done this repair; and if so will they kindly advise me of the process and more specifically what tool is required in order to remove the intermediate shaft boot clamp.
Any and all response will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I am guessing the clamp is the same as or similar to the clamps that hold the boots on the steering rack? If so, use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to carefully cut thru the clamp and it should pop right off. Dont cut into the boot! Replace the clamp with a worm drive hose clamp. If the "tail" of the hose clamp hangs out such that it would interfere with other components, cut the "tail" off with the Dremel with a cutoff wheel after the clamp is tightened.

Reactions: sheila
#7 ·
^^^ Which is exactly what I stated in my post above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.