Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and found a 2013 reference to an auxiliary trans cooler for a 2013 SHO. But there were no more specifics.
Has anyone got a suggestion for some sort of stacked plate trans cooler with either integral (Tekonsha) or inline (Hayden) thermostat that would work on a 2008 Taurus?
TKS
David

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was asking here about a trans-cooler install too , but didn't get any responses. IMHO if you can physically fit one in front of the A/C condenser , you can put in an auxiliary transaxle cooler, you just have to measure & see what size fits. As for a "thermostat" , I never put one in, on the very many cars I added a cooler on. With modern stacked plate coolers, it seems like the varying passageways of differing diameters of the paths the fluid goes through the cooler, can regulate the way the cooler handles the temperature regulation. Or at least that's what I read on the instructions of Long or Hayden stacked plate coolers. Its regulated by viscosity & temperature of the trans fluid.

Ebay has transaxle coolers that are specific for the 6th generation Taurus'. BTW, I also asked what cooling line from the radiator is the return line to the transaxle, but no one responded. I know this is a doable instal , but again clearance is the issue & the front grille & bumper may have to come off to measure?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am getting one put in tomorrow. The transmission shop said as you did that the thermostat was not needed. Will let you know more after I get it back.
David

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have left me with a quandary. The shop says they can fit either the Hayden 689 or Hayden 699. The 689 is steel with 9/16" JIC fittings (nicer machined fittings). The 699 has the thermostat bypass and is aluminum with 3/8 barb fittings. I am leaning towards the 699 with the bypass.
David

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you look at the so called factory specific types on Ebay or go to the Ford parts dealer to look at the factory specific type cooler? Again , I may stand corrected but some stacked plate coolers say there are orifices inside the coolers that control fluid path ,& adjust for temperature control making a thermal regulator or thermostat not needed.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Most of the stacked plate coolers work in a simple mode - the cold fluid is THICK, it ONLY passes on the top few plates. As the fluid heats up, it passes through more and more lower plates until the full cooler is passing fluid.

No need for a bypass. Nature takes its course. Thick, cold fluid only flows in just the top plates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts