Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn my steering wheel right or left I hear a thumping noise from either side of the front suspension. It sounds like a "dong" noise. I can also hear this a bit when I am moving and first take off and turn but not when driving faster. I will be in Houston this weekend and will put it on ramps or jack stands. Any ideas on what I should look for? Is is something I could simply tighten with a wrench?

SUP:unsure:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It's probably the strut mounts, mine started doing that 2 years ago, around 58k. I suggest replacing the struts and mounts, when you do that, you should replace the sway bar end links with metal ones that have zerk fittings, those can also cause noise when the plastic end links wear out. The KYB struts I put on mine ride much better than the Motorcraft ones did when the car only had 25k on it. I drove my car almost 2 years making strut mount noise, it's not really a safety issue, just a annoying issue. I'm happy I finally don't have noises when I turn or go over bumps anymore.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it makes a noise. Tires wear fine but it is time to change them and I do not wish to change them, get it aligned with the new tires and then do the change of strut thing and realign. Need to do it at Christmas break. Where did you get your KYB struts?

SUP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts