Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Taurus is in excellent condition with 98,000 miles. Transmission had a recent filter and oil change at 85,000 miles. After reviewing a few threads I see where some have added after marked transmission coolers to their Taurus vehicles in an effort to extend the life of the transmission. Does it appear to work?

Is there an OEM cooler on the 2007 Taurus? If not or if so, what would you
recommend as a replacement or to be put on this vehicle to extend the
life of the transmission? Where could I get this done if I did not wish to do it myself? Cost either way?

Last time I had the Ford dealer change the filter and oil I did not specify synthetic oil in the transmission. Should I do so next time?

Thanks, SUP:unsure:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased my 2007 Taurus used with 26,000 miles on it in August 2007. I have to travel frequently from northern Louisiana to Houston. This has put quite a few miles on my car. I have kept it up with the Mobil i Extended Synthetic Oil changes as well as the recommended Transmission filter and oil changes. The car is absolutely in excellent condition and I am not afraid to put it on the road anywhere. These miles were highway miles. I just want to keep it going as long as I can.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you are running the highway a lot, I wouldn't worry about the extra cooler. It's the stop and go that builds heat, wrecks the fluid and eventually the trans. Your car has the best trans. installed in that gen. Taurus. The use of synthetic fluid in the future would be a good idea.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another good idea if you had the time and money, is to get the PCM reprogrammed to firm up the shifts. It also improves the drivability as well. A firmer shifting program improves clutch slippage and would in turn make the transmission last a little bit longer.

I'm not sure if there was a thread on this specifically, but SHOZ123 has all the info about it. I need to get my PCM reprogrammed sometime soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Last time I had the Ford dealer change the filter and oil I did not specify synthetic oil in the transmission. Should I do so next time?

Thanks, SUP:unsure:
The trans calls for Mercon V, which is synthetic (so I've been told)
If the dealer did it, I would assume they put the correct fluid in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.