Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to change the Coolant without having it run down the driveway? I know the easy answer is take it and have it done. How many gallons of fluid is in the coolant system? In Houston, they frown quite a bit if the fluid runs down the drive and into the sewer system.

SUP

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Yeah, remove the blk. plastic shield from bottom of car. Radiator petcock is on bottom of rad., driver side. Get a drain pan and a small piece of scrap fuel or vac. hose and slip it over the nipple on side of petcock to direct flow into drain pan. Loosen petcock with 3/4 in. or 19mm socket or wrench. Should take 1-2 gals. to refill. Dunno about your locale, but here in kc, its ok to put coolant mix into the sanitary sewer system. Hand tighten petcock only when finished or it will snap off (plastic). No tools to tighten. When done,transfer old fluid into your empty containers and take to a parts store or reclamation center if necessary.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sheila,

In Humble, Tx. you cannot let it go down the sewer. Your neighbors will turn you in. I will get some hose and direct it to a bucket. The car has a 99,000 miles and is ready for it's first change. I would really prefer to flush it really good first but don't see how unless I get a few buckets with lids (what an inconviencence). We use to just let it run down the driveway. Not anymore.

SUP

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sheila,

It is great having someone like you to converse / e-mail with. What is your background? How do you know so much about cars and especially the Taurus?

SUP

·
Registered
191 Posts
Another way to drain the system is by using a fluid evacuator (also great for oil changes) such as Pella or Mity Vac. Have not tried it on coolant, but for the oil change it sucks oil from the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely knowledgable and helpful. I have aleady used her advice and suceeded. Thanks for being on this site and helping. I know you enjoy it as well and I enjoy getting the information. SUP (School Superintendent Louisiana)

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
An easier and quicker way without removing blk. plastic air dam, but has the potential to be very messy and a super soaker, is to separate lower radiator hose on the bottom passenger side from its junction and drain. If your drain pan(s) are ready and you ease the hose off, its not too bad.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
All that works, but if you're bound and determined to let it out illegally, pull the lower cover off, go to Walmart, park over a drain, open petcock. Go shopping, get new coolant, when done shopping come out and refill. Remember, you didn't hear it from me, and I can neither confirm nor deny that I personally have done this.

pics or it didn't happen!!

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Rudedog rules!!! Another tip when working with antifreeze or brake fluid, be wary of any spillage, as it can wreak havoc with your cars paint finish. Flush and rinse immediately. Maybe ks. ought to rethink its disposal laws, come to think of it, these extra appendages come in handy at times, but draw a lot of stares and unwanted attention lol.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Honest, I've never done it but a lot of the techs I've worked with have. Not necessarily at Wallyworld, but out in the service lot, or at their apt, or even at the end of their block.....

what? no it stalled........meanwhile it dripped coolant, lol.

OHHH!! To add to Sheila's list, PAG oil for A/C work, it's far worse than brake fluid.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
That solves the mystery of my little paint spot blemishes in and around the front end. This fall i removed the cap from the ac hi service port and it began spewing like old faithful. I wiped what i could see with a dry shop rag, but evidently not well enough to remove all the r134a and pag46 oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts