Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have an annoying belt squeak. This is a pre-certifed car from Ford so still have some warranty left. Anyway, took it to the service dept. yesterday and they told me I need a new belt, tensioner and idler pulley. Not covered under warranty at a cost of $500. They said the belt was misaligned causing the two other components to go bad. Now, a few months ago, had the same problem and turned out to be the A/C witch was covered under warranty. They replaced the A/C and belt. I mentioned they were the ones that put the belt on and if it was misaligned it was their fault and should do the repairs at their cost. Basically got the S.O.L treatment. I could proably persue this but I was prettyed P.O'ed yesterday, I dont think it would be worth further aggravation.

With that said, this is something I can do my self. But have a couple questions. Anyone know the size of the torx bit for the tensioner? I looked around online and have seen T27 & T47. I probably have one of these sizes. But you know how that goes. LOL...

We dont drive this car a lot, probably dont have more than 300 miles on the belt since it was replaced by the dealer. Do you think it is necessary to put a new belt on?

Thanks for the help,
Patrick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well pulled the belt. Everything seems pretty tight except for the water pump. I can wiggle the pulley on there left/right/up/down almost 1/16" if not more. Oh Joy on this repair....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I replaced the belt & both pulleys on my '06 SEL about 2 months ago. Simple job, took half an hour. Spent more time getting the belt on & off than anything else.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Its a T47 on my 03 vulcan.

It is on there tight and normal thread, ie righty tighty lefty loosey.

Dont use the factory bolt if you replace it if said replacement comes with its own bolt.

That said, beat the ever loving **** outta the dealer to honor your warranty, call Ford directly if you have to. Call all of them daily.

Work on it as the last resort as it will void any warranty you have left.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts