Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taurus 2007 drivers, how does your car idle?
I bought a Taurus 2007 with 30k miles on it. It seems to idle a little rough. For instance, with the car in drive, with me holding the brake (like at a stop sign or red light) the tac needle sits below "1" by at least one hash, so that's between 800 and 600 rpm and it seems to fluctuate right there a bit, along with a little bit of growling. How normal is that? does it indicate a problem?

·
Registered
953 Posts
QUOTE (akodo @ May 20 2009, 02:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726679
Taurus 2007 drivers, how does your car idle?
I bought a Taurus 2007 with 30k miles on it. It seems to idle a little rough. For instance, with the car in drive, with me holding the brake (like at a stop sign or red light) the tac needle sits below "1" by at least one hash, so that's between 800 and 600 rpm and it seems to fluctuate right there a bit, along with a little bit of growling. How normal is that? does it indicate a problem?[/b]
Well I know that my 2001 seems to do that on a regular basis. Does it ever fall below the 500 mark? Has the battery (negative cable AND/OR Positive cable) been disconnected for any amount of time in the last few days? If so, the PCM is still probably learning the ideal idle for the car.

If you suspect problems, the IAC (Idle Air Controller) is probably the culprit. However, at only 30,000 I would not expect this to be a case. There is also the potential for a vacuum leak somewhere.

Has this been happening since you bought/owned the car? And if so, what mileage did you purchase at? If not, how long/ mileage has this been happening for.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I have always seen the tach move up and down about 50-100 rpms. When the a/c is on is when I see the RPMs steady. Doesn't seem right but that is how it has been for 3 years. Mine makes no noise but if you have that growing I would suspect a bearing on one of the pulleys is going. I had to have my alternator replaced somewhere close to 30K and it was making that noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts