Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a lot of reading on how to disable DRL for a 2007 Ford Taurus and sadly it's not as easy as pulling a fuse or module for this year =(. Anybody know if DRL can be disabled/enabled using Forscan and OBDLink MX+?

I think I read about the dealership having a scan tool that can disable/enable them, but they probably want my first born son and one of my kidneys to do it. Was hoping for a cheaper solution.

Someone mentioned cutting the DRL wire and connecting it to a relay that activates when the lights are turned on, I am thinking this might be the only option besides getting the car reprogrammed.

Anyone familiar with the 2005-2007 DRL modules/wiring/programming? Any help would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why would you want to disable your DRL`s? It just seems like an unnecessary step, They double as your Turn signals so I wouldn`t suggest it without doing some risky wiring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seem to be burning through headlights fast for some reason. I am on my 3 rd set in 2 years now. Its always a low beam filament that burns out and Im guessing its because they are always on.

I was reading DRL are suppose to be using lower power however I see no difference when I turn the lights to on and off.

Any idea?

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I seem to be burning through headlights fast for some reason. I am on my 3 rd set in 2 years now. Its always a low beam filament that burns out and Im guessing its because they are always on.

I was reading DRL are suppose to be using lower power however I see no difference when I turn the lights to on and off.

Any idea?
Chart of bulb life vs volts applied. Bulb life rated at 12.8V but at that you would have, ~16K miles with low beams on. Not acceptable. So car makers drop the volts to get ~58K miles with low beams on. Math: V/V^-16. Head math says volts over by 5% cuts life in half. Volts under rated doubles life. Car makers use wire size to drop volts by ~2.0V. And by the chart, output light ~76% of rated bulb output. I do not know how much the DRL drops the volts in the car but a module cuts the effective volts electronically so little heat if generated.
My reason for doing the math, on my '03 wagon I use a relay to bypass the resistor wire to get more light and willing to give up life. I do not do much night driving but want good night light.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that bit of information Chartmaker, I will have to take my multi meter out and see what the voltage is at the headlight with and without the lights in the on position. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
363 Posts
I know nothing about the lights in question, so I'll ask some questions and offer some kind of idea. I'd also want to add that while I'm not a lawyer or insurance adjuster, if you were involved in an accident and it was discovered you disabled a safety feature of your car, they could make an argument to alter your coverage.

Are the DRL filament or LED? I'm guessing filament if they are controlled by varying the power.

Have you considered using LED bulbs and covering the auto lamp brightness detector? Your lamps would come on all the time.

If you want to keep the DRLs lower brightness, could you add PWM (pulse width modulation) circuits (won't work on LED or lamps with a ballast)? It was a much older car but I added simple PWM circuits so I'd have DRLs, and the headlight switch used a relay to go directly to the lamps.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply mcsteven, I hear your concern about disabling DRLs however as a point against it the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) has concluded "No solid evidence of overall safety benefits associated with DRLs". There is always a chance of what your saying, but there is evidence that shows they are not as effective as many people think.

I would like to have more control over my lights as I work nights and hate blasting my lights into sleeping peoples rooms while it warms up (MN down to 30F already =(.

===============================================
V. Conclusion - https://www.federalregister.gov/documents
The agency's 2008 DRL study is a more robust study than previous attempts by the agency to quantify the effectiveness of DRLs. This newest study was unable to find solid evidence of overall safety benefits associated with DRLs installed on passenger vehicles using the ratio of odds ratio statistical technique. While DRLs may be beneficial for certain scenarios, the agency has been unable to document overall safety benefits due to DRL installation which could serve as a basis for mandating them.

===============================================
Chapter 5. DISCUSSION - https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/
The analysis applied a control-comparison technique to evaluate the effects of DRLs on three daytime target crashes: Two-PV, Single-PV-to-PED/CYC, and Single-PV-to-Motorcycle crashes. The ratio of odds ratios statistic was used to estimate the effects. Based on this measurement, a majority of the derived effects were not statistically significant. Although some estimated effects were statistically significant, these results often contradicted each other.

Are the DRL filament or LED?
Mine are Filament, SYLVANIA 9007 SilverStar zXe Halogen Headlight Bulb

Have you considered using LED bulbs and covering the auto lamp brightness detector?
I thought changing to aftermarket LEDs was illegal if your car is not equipped with them? I know you have to change out the reflector type housing or you will blind other drivers, however I am not the most informed on this subject.
Also, my 2007 does NOT have auto lights, I have to use the switch to activate them.

If you want to keep the DRLs lower brightness, could you add PWM....I'd have DRLs, and the headlight switch used a relay to go directly to the lamps.
After Charts post I went to check my headlight voltage and upon doing so I remembered I installed a harness kit. This kit runs from the battery to the headlights and it seems they run at the battery voltage which is probably burning them up faster. The harness kit plugs into the existing headlight plug which activates it like normal.

I am thinking about how I could hook the lights up to the headlight switch which might skip the DRLs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a 2007 going on 105k miles. your question was timely for me as about a year and a half ago i replaced the drivers side headlight bulb. Got a pair of them cheap but not a known brand(PIAA?), at least not to me. A couple nights ago my kid was stopped and told he had a headlight out, and as it turns out it was the same one(drivers side). Searching for a new pair for the next change out i found that Hella makes a 9012 LL...ll means long life. Found them on Rock auto for 5.37 ea, under 11 a pair. Might be the better option.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been doing a lot of reading on how to disable DRL for a 2007 Ford Taurus and sadly it's not as easy as pulling a fuse or module for this year =(. Anybody know if DRL can be disabled/enabled using Forscan and OBDLink MX+?

I think I read about the dealership having a scan tool that can disable/enable them, but they probably want my first born son and one of my kidneys to do it. Was hoping for a cheaper solution.

Someone mentioned cutting the DRL wire and connecting it to a relay that activates when the lights are turned on, I am thinking this might be the only option besides getting the car reprogrammed.

Anyone familiar with the 2005-2007 DRL modules/wiring/programming? Any help would be great, thanks!
The only way you are going to disable the DRL is to run a toggle switch to the power wire to the headlights. I did this to my 2006 taurus SEL when I put HID lights on it . Just find the power wire on the drivers side of the headlight and run a power wire to a toggle switch and a negative wire to the ground on the inside of the finder. works great for the past 7 years

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Searching for a new pair for the next change out i found that Hella makes a 9012 LL...ll means long life. Found them on Rock auto for 5.37 ea, under 11 a pair. Might be the better option.
I added a aftermarket harness kit that increases the voltage to the lights to make them a little brighter. The 2007 Taurus has a crap headlight design or something, it was extremely hard to see at night before I got the harness. I guess the extra voltage is causing a shorter life span on my headlights and the always on DRL is not helping, however being able to see good at night has its advantages.

I got lucky and noticed a 12 month warranty on my lights packaging when I was about to buy some new ones, I looked on my purchase history on amazon and what do you know I purchased them exactly 1 day short of 12 months, still in warranty period by a single day wow!

After contacting support through email they informed me they only warranty authorized dealers, and I didn't purchase from one ...BAHH, BUT they said just this one time they would ship the lights out for me and upheld the warranty!

Sylvania support was a huge help!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only way you are going to disable the DRL is to run a toggle switch to the power wire to the headlights. I did this to my 2006 taurus SEL when I put HID lights on it . Just find the power wire on the drivers side of the headlight and run a power wire to a toggle switch and a negative wire to the ground on the inside of the finder. works great for the past 7 years
I am thinking of adding in a relay that would be connected to the headlight switch, so when you turn on your headlights like normal it activates the headlights that way instead of having another switch in my car.

I currently have switches for a voltage display, and interior red lighting that is dimmable for night time, red preserves your night vision better and makes you harder to see inside the car compared to bright white interior lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts