Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Ford Taurus with less than 140k miles on it. I have owned it for 3 years now, and put about 30k miles on it. I had the engine oil changed once (for free), and did it myself once (finally). It also leaked oil for about 6 months, which I replaced regularly. That oil leak somehow went away. I'm about to change the oil and filter within a few weeks.

Having some power steering issues. It groaned loudly for a while, then one day the p/s went out. I opened the hood and the cap had p/s fluid coming out of the top. It was quite foamy.
I now realize I should have taken the groaning sound as a sign to change the fluid, before the p/s pump goes bad all the way or my rack and pinions get damaged.

I have been using a turkey baster to pull out P/S fluid, and replacing it with some fresh p/s fluid w/ stop leak. The fluid is quite black and appears to have metal shavings or fine particulate matter in it. My power steering now somewhat works after it gets hot and I suppose pressurized. I plan on installing a Magnefine filter, after I perform a flush, and maybe use seafoam transtune or an oz of Auto-Rx, similar to this thread here, following pawpaw's advice.
Power Steering Fluid Filter

I also have been using power steering fluid (approved mercon 3, for fords etc) w/ stop leak instead of what my owner's manual says, which is mercon atf. Whoops. When I perform the flush, I'm going to switch to ATF. I shouldn't mix the p/s fluid and atf, I assume?

When I check my p/s reservoir, it seems full. When I start my car, it sucks almost all the fluid down until I can see just a bit moving in the reservoir. Is that normal? From what I thought I saw in videos, it seems there should still be fluid in the top as it's running. If I turn the car off, the fluid all comes back to the top, I've almost overfilled it b/c I tried filling it while running.

I'm mostly a noob when it comes to working on vehicles, but I'm definitely trying to learn and do most repairs myself. Thanks anyone who has advice.

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
The PS system uses Mercon V transmission fluid, but Dextron III / Mercon transmission fluid should be OK.

You still have a bunch of air in the system that you need to get out.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Either air is still in the system or is being sucked in. Air is compressed by the hydraulic pressures and when the pump is shut off the pressure goes away and the air expands and blows the fluid out the top of the reservoir.

·
Registered
22,861 Posts
Sounds like you have air the system. Need to check for leaks/repair/bleed. Fwiw, there is no Mercon lll atf, only Mercon/Dexron lll atf and Mercon v atf. I'd empty the ps reservoir with the turkey baster and refill to the proper level with Mercon v atf. I typed this last night at 9:30 pm and forgot to post, lol!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. New to the forum here. Having the identical issue. Is there a bleeder valve? Does the pressure line need to be replaced or no? I've read elsewhere that the cooling tube might be the culprit. Any help is appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts