Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Need some help while working on our 2005 Ford Taurus 3.0L 12V Vulcan.
I am trying to re-install the harmonic balancer on this engine, but need either an installation tool, or a longer grade 10.9 bolt with a washer to draw on the pulley to the crank snout.

When I visit my local parts stores for a rental tool, I get the blank look followed by "We don't have that".

I noticed on Dorman's site, the crankshaft bolt is listed as an M12X1.5, but that seems small.
I measured my original bolt from this "new: replacement engine (2005) and it's a 22mm head, 13.8mm X 1.5 X 44mm long, measured at the tip of the fine threads.

Does anyone know if there is a common tool available to press the balancer on the shaft, or the correct bolt size I should seek to draw this onto the crank?

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Bolt is 14mm not 13.8. Thread size tick smaller than the shank so that is the normal. Lowes and others have stock bolts.
-chart-

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can rent a harmonic balancer installation kit from Autozone free (you basically pay for it as a deposit and get it back upon return). It's a puller/installer.

It is always highly recommended to use these, I'd say it's a must. Either way, it's also a good idea to heat the balancer in the oven to about 150 degrees before installing to help push it on (poor some oil on the crank snout of course too)

Don't try another bolt, don't hammer anything, rent the installer even if you gotta drive a ways to get it. I thought Autozone was everywhere...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have installed many harmonic balancers and the vulcans are by far the least tight of them all. Some will slip on by hand. Big block Chevy with a fluidamper: now that will need an installer! Don't forget silicone sealer on the keyway!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts