Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice install! Looks like the cooler lines in my Audi A6-same color too. Interesting idea with the ferrule hose barb, and the bug screen. I'm curious if the screen reduces air flow through the cooler.

I am sure there is some loss of airflow but then again I am sure there is when it is full of bugs and sand too.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Some updated temperature numbers from my testing.

Pre-Cooler temps

25 min drive 67 degree day 160 final trans temp
40 min drive 75 degree day 164 final trans temp
35 min drive 68 degree day 167 final trans temp
35 min drive 70 degree day 171 final trans temp
45 min drive 79 degree day 189 final trans temp
50 min drive 90 degree day 200 final trans temp

212 and 214 were the max temps I saw on the hottest day for a short time climbing a grade.

The 30 plus minute drive in hot weather seems to be enough to get to the point where the temp has stabilized to the condition.[/quote]

Post-Cooler temps

25 min drive 96 degree day 177 final trans temp
35 min drive 92 degree day 189 final trans temp
40 min drive 89 degree day 178 final trans temp
35 min drive 79 degree day 168 final trans temp
40 min drive 92 degree day 178 final trans temp
45 min drive 79 degree day 180 final trans temp

With the cooler installed I have never seen the 200 degree plus temps on the same route on that grade on a hot day.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Interesting temperatures, I figured the temps would never be below the radiator temperature. Covering the cooler in the winter would be a good idea for a test but also to maintain trans temp. Please post numbers this winter because winter temps are my main concern.

Took the car to work this morning after it was parked outside overnight.

33 Deg morning 27min hwy drive to work with light traffic. Trans temp was 121 deg when I pulled in the lot at work. I am actually OK with that I think. If it was super cold here here for a long period of time I might think about covering the cooler.

In edit: on the drive home with the same 22 mile hwy drive that took 30 mins, the final transmission temp was 138 degrees with an outside air temp of 48 degrees.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Thanks for the information. I can't remember but are you still running the fluid through the radiator transmission cooler? I wonder if we have any trans experts hear to give us their opinion on the lower end of the operating temperature for these transmissions.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Thanks for the information. I can't remember but are you still running the fluid through the radiator transmission cooler? I wonder if we have any trans experts hear to give us their opinion on the lower end of the operating temperature for these transmissions.
Yes it still runs though the radiator. It was my understanding from a Ford transmission engineer on another forum that a couple of the main benefits to getting the fluid warm enough was to evaporate condensation from the fluid and efficiency of operation.. I think that he said a nice target area was to get the fluid around 150 to 180 degs in regard to those specific points.

I will try and repeat the test for fun on a colder day for the benefit of discussion.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
DIDN'T READ THE ENTIRE THREAD I WILL LATER

I'm assuming the installation process will be the same on my 04? Was it at all difficult to do? My experience level is quite low
I'm pretty sure the OP has a Vulcan, where as your Duratec has a basic external cooler already. It would be different, AFAIK.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
excellent, i have been thinking about this for a while, at one time there ws a posting about using a mustang cooler which also fit. but the mustang cooler was expensive!!
my 06 sel is definately getting this
from one Tom S. to the other Tom S. thanks a million!!!!!!
btw my 06, the graylady, is dark titanium

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
DIDN'T READ THE ENTIRE THREAD I WILL LATER

I'm assuming the installation process will be the same on my 04? Was it at all difficult to do? My experience level is quite low
I will have to look the next time I see a tec and see how much different it looks. I did not find this hard to do and I certainly took my install father then it was is necessary. For instance all rubber lines would have been fine I think. I enjoy projects like these so it was fun for me.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Interesting temperatures, I figured the temps would never be below the radiator temperature. Covering the cooler in the winter would be a good idea for a test but also to maintain trans temp. Please post numbers this winter because winter temps are my main concern.
I did a data log for you this weekend. This was driving across the mountains at fast highways speeds on I-70 in cool/cold temps. The two peaks in the trans temps are are climbing very long sustained steep grades at high altitude with then a long downhill descent. The time across the bottom is the length of the trip in minutes.

I will try and do one of these in hot weather this summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I did a data log for you this weekend. This was driving across the mountains at fast highways speeds on I-70 in cool/cold temps. The two peaks in the trans temps are are climbing very long sustained steep grades at high altitude with then a long downhill descent. The time across the bottom is the length of the trip in minutes.

Nice information!! Keep this up and I will have to install one of these myself. How did you collect the data? Using what device and program? I know these coolers are good to have and it will interesting if it will extend the life of the trans. It sure gives piece of mind.

This coming winter is the data I really think will be what will calm my fears, what the trans temperature does in 0 degrees ambient.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Thanks for sharing Tom.

I presume this is in your Taurus with the trans cooler.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Pretty simple, I have a type K thermocouple in the transmission test port with a type K thermometer in the cab with a rear view mirror I added with a temp reading. Just a written log transfered to excel. This was on the 06 where I added the trans cooler.

I have noticed a that the trans temp reading is quite related to the air temperature and it would not be too hard to predict the temps if it was 30 or 40 degrees cooler.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
This quote was too good not to include in this thread.

At least you have some sort of factory trans cooler. My '00 Vulcan/AX4S only had a non-finned bar for the PS. The transmission just went straight in and out of the radiator heat-exchanger. I put an auxiliary cooler on it the week after I bought it with a 180 degree bypass. That was at 42k miles. Zero problems 132k miles later.

FWIW though, the entire purpose of the trans cooling system is to get the fluid to operating temperature as quickly as possible and keep it there. As a whole it does a good job of this. Though we always get all excited about lowering our trans temps, mainly because of the fragile nature the the AX4S/AX4N, temps below 160 can be just as detrimental to the transmission as high temperatures. I can't tell you how many transmission issues I've seen in truck applications that were caused by the owner installing a large transmission cooler without a bypass. This is a really big issue in colder climates.

Ideally the trans fluid temperature would be a steady 180 +/- 20 degrees. With Mercon V, fluid temperatures really don't get dangerous until you hit the 250 degree range. Fluid life begins to diminish at a much faster rate above about 220 degrees though because of oxidation. Rarely does the stock cooling system exceed this. Unless you live in a very warm climate or are constantly under heavy load (towing, hills, etc.), the stock system is sufficient in most cases. By the time the Gen 4's came around Ford had been building these transmissions for 14 years. They knew what they were doing, at least as far as cooling them. Fluid temps are the least of the AX4*'s typical problems. If they could have fixed the issues with a simple one or two bar finned cooler they would have in a heartbeat. That said, an auxiliary cooler can be good insurance to prolong fluid life if you routinely see trans temps above 200 degrees or so. You just have to be mindful that your temps don't drop too much. A bypass is a really good idea.
I have started looking at the temps on my 03 and comparing them on the same commute to my 06. The O6 had only the radiator tank cooler and I added air to fluid cooler to it. My 03 has a single pass factory cooler. I have not yet had a day where it was really hot and the traffic was slow yet for testing so I will have to update this thread. Trying to decide if I want to make a change on the 03 or not at this point.

22 Mile 95% highway commute. Shorter times are no traffic and longer times are with stop and go traffic. AC in use on the hot days.

2006 Taurus with only the radiator tank cooler no fluid to air cooler.

25 min drive 67 degree day 160 final trans temp
40 min drive 75 degree day 164 final trans temp
35 min drive 68 degree day 167 final trans temp
35 min drive 70 degree day 171 final trans temp
45 min drive 79 degree day 189 final trans temp
50 min drive 90 degree day 200 final trans temp

212 and 214 were the max temps I saw on the hottest days for a short time climbing a grade.

The 30 plus minute drive in hot weather seems to be enough to get to the point where the temp has stabilized to the condition.

2006 Taurus with Derale dual pass finned transmission cooler and radiator tank cooler

25 min drive 96 degree day 177 final trans temp
35 min drive 92 degree day 189 final trans temp
40 min drive 89 degree day 178 final trans temp
35 min drive 79 degree day 168 final trans temp
40 min drive 92 degree day 178 final trans temp
45 min drive 79 degree day 180 final trans temp

With the Derale cooler installed I have never seen the 200 degree plus temps on the same route on that grade on a hot day.

2003 Taurus with factory single pass finned cooler and radiator tank cooler

25 min drive 68 degree day 144 final trans temp
30 min drive 82 degree day 184 final trans temp
30 min drive 91 degree day 189 final trans temp (84 deg starting trans temp)
26 min drive 56 degree day 147 final trans temp (78 deg starting trans temp)
30 min drive 56 degree day 141 final trans temp (75 deg starting trans temp)
32 min drive 82 degree day 182 final trans temp (90 deg starting trans temp)
30 min drive 54 degree day 140 final trans temp
36 min drive 74 degree day 182 final trans temp
26 min drive 42 degree day 125 final trans temp
29 min drive 70 degree day 161 final trans temp

21 - 36 of 36 Posts