Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buddy with an 06 Taurus that's been giving him fits lately. Cold or hot, get in the car, hit the key, she cranks, doesn't fire. I had him cycle the key on, off, on, off a few times to prime the pump a little extra, and it's helped until recently. I did a little digging and everybody shouted fuel pump, so Saturday I put a pump and a relay in it. Worked ok until today, doing the same thing again. He also says his guages are jumping when he shuts the car off. I do know the tach doesn't register for 10 or 15 seconds after the car starts. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Before throwing in parts, make sure spark plugs are not fouled or sooted, fuel filter recently replaced, MAF cleaned. Cover the basic things first. Then check sparking, fuel pressure. If all pass, get it scanned professionally.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
when it starts... does it catch early or is it long crank. is it consistant with the start cycle hot an cold?
the crank sensor can be tested but its a $20 part. the average life is around 80 to 120 thousand miles. iirc less then .5v is bad
is the cluster doing anything else... bouncing speedo, light flicker.. etc...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car's got 54k on it. Hot or cold doesn't matter, does it either way. It's a long crank, even when he's hit the key to prime a few times. If he had a shorted cell in the battery wouldn't there be a problem with the motor cranking? It spins just fine, and nothing seems to differ between when it doesn't fire and when it does. I don't know about lights flickering. Before we put the pump in it he said the display had been coming on at startup, something it hadn't done before the problems arose. Now it only comes on when you push the button for it. I'm assuming that's because we unhooked the battery and it reset itself.
Thanks for all the tips so far. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Timing is all electronic on this, isn't it? Would that mean the crank sensor's out of range occasionally?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the tach got me thinking today and a couple of others have posted issues with the dash. a bad battery/ low voltage causes this issue. as far as the no start issue im not sure if this would resolve it,
have the battery tested and check grounds

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Battery tested fine, no codes thrown either. Guess tomorrow we put a crank sensor in it. I'll keep you all updated.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Tach / dash issues and cycling the key helped for a little while makes me think ignition switch. A lot of sources get switched in that switch, mine acted up and the off/on cycling made it normal so replacing the switch was my first choice and fixed the problem.
Let us know one way or the other what the fix was.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm at the point of washing my hands of it, at least until he gets a legit diagnosis.
The car does start but cranks for what I consider a bit longer than it should, and sometimes takes a second or third try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts