Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a long hot summer but as soon as the temperature outside hits about 35 degrees (F) my alarm goes off randomly. Usually about 3:00 AM when it's coldest.
It has not done this for about 9 months since last winter.
Hood, door and trunk switches function fine but this problem shows up when it gets cold. Not freezing necessarily but low 30s
I think I posted this last year too. Any help is much appreciated (and especially by my neighbors!)

·
Super Moderator
8,346 Posts
If the alarm is the factory alarm, you can use Forscan or similar higher end scan tool to see which switch is tripping the alarm.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the alarm is the factory alarm, you can use Forscan or similar higher end scan tool to see which switch is tripping the alarm.
I have Forscan but I haven't used it much and not for a while. I'm sure there's an update so I will do that and see what I can find out.
I assume there's a record stored for the last time the alarm went off?
Off topic (sort of)
Will Foscran also provide data as to what caused "high temperature" chime?

Thanks, John Kenneth

·
Registered
2002 Mercury Sable LS Platinum Sport, 2019 Ford Taurus Limited
12 Posts
I have had this problem with my 02 sable before and it actually just acted up again about 2 days ago. Both times the door registered open even after opening and closing multiple times. Both times all I had to do was get some of the silicone based WD40 also make sure you soak it good and it fixed the problem for me immediately. Hopefully this helps

·
Super Moderator
8,346 Posts
^^^^ I do that to our 3 Tauri as preventative maintenance every year when the temperatures drop to freezing. (occasionally repeat in the middle of winter depending on how nasty the winter is).

·
Registered
23,104 Posts
Are you getting a "high temp" chime or "low coolant" chime? My unwanted alarms on 2 of my gen3 tecs were both due to the rubber plunger hood switch. Replaced 1 with a jy donor and merely unplugged the other offender. As you mentioned above, could also be the door/trunk switches. If the annoying alarm is occurring with any regularity, may disconnect the hood switch for a few days (or forever) and see if it disappears. ^+1 on spraying all door end latches with wd-40 and following up with white lithium grease spray.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1. Thank you, I will try the recommended lubricant fix

2. Sheila, I confused things with my question about the chime. It is an entirely different issue, nothing to do with the security alarm. It was prompted by JeffK's suggetion to use Forscan and really belongs in a separate post.

·
Registered
23,104 Posts
^+1 JayKay, I wasn't confused, lol. I've had low coolant chimes/lights due to the sensor in the degas (coolant) tank and I may have had 1 high temp chime/light when the h2o pump impeller broke off internally on the youngest son's '98 tec.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts