Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 2006 Taurus Vulcan. He says he just noticed lately that supposedly while in park the car is creeping forward. It first happened in the garage after starting up and letting the idle lower after warming up for a few minutes. He said he put his foot on the brake and the card starting forward a few inches before he actually took out of park. He repeated this a few times. It happened again this morning. After he got to work he was in the parking lot with the vehicle in park talking on his cell phone. He noticed the car crept forward a little and it was also on a slight uphill grade.

I know he's not dreaming, is this possible or has anyone else experienced this issue?? One would think at best if the transmission wasn't going completely into park it would creep backwards not forwards!!! Thanks for any advice!!!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That does sound bizarre. Never heard of that happening before.

I don't much care of band-aid fixes, but he may want to try this method for parking for the future. May help, esp if the car ends up rolling away or something.

The parking prawl is trying to hold back all 3000+lbs of the car from rolling in the direction gravity wants it to go.

Before getting out, with the standard/foot brake depressed, put the car in neutral, then set the parking brake. Release the standard/foot brake. Put it in P.

No more rolling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bull Geek,
Thanks for the reply, I'll give him the info and see if he sees any difference. After talking with him a few days ago, he's beginning to wonder if he has been imagining this phenomenon or not. Time will tell!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 06 will creep when started, more noticable when cold. I had a 97 Sable that did the same thing. I thought it was pretty characteristic of these cars?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
My 06 will creep when started, more noticable when cold. I had a 97 Sable that did the same thing. I thought it was pretty characteristic of these cars?
Nope. I've never had a Bull do this. And I've been around a lot of Bulls.

I'm more apt to think the parking brake isn't or wasn't set correctly. When he got into his vehicle he likely moved the vehicle slightly due to the change in weight or suspension settling. Since the brake wasn't set, the vehicle moved.

There is a little movement when it park as the pawl has some play.. sometimes (most especially when) the parking brake isn't set the pawl can bend or break off, destroying the transmission or allow the vehicle to move involuntarily.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Mine does it also but only with cold engine on real cold days.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That does sound bizarre. Never heard of that happening before.
Really? Almost 12k posts and you never heard of this before?

I've been searching around on here for just 15 minutes and already found 3 other threads regarding the same problem.

Coincidentally, non of the threads have "actual" answers to the issue. More or less just guesses. Not to mention none of them have a follow up from the OP.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Really? Almost 12k posts and you never heard of this before?

I've been searching around on here for just 15 minutes and already found 3 other threads regarding the same problem.

Coincidentally, non of the threads have "actual" answers to the issue. More or less just guesses. Not to mention none of them have a follow up from the OP.
Which makes it more apt to just be some sort of "butt dyno" effect.

I've never seen or had this happen. ever. Besides reading it on the internets.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Happened in my 95 before the rebuild, happens to my 03 when cold. Those in this thread that seem to have experienced it all seem to be to the north, while the nay sayers are from the warmer climates.

It's as if the trans doesn't fully disengage drive. not as if the car is really going anywhere, the parking pawl is engaged, just the slightest pull (real slight - can't quite describe it). Doesn't matter if it's on a hill or not, doesn't happen that often, just enough to notice.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Sorry man I can't say I noticed it before or read about it...however with the cold snap SC has had. I did notice my car did it last week or two weeks ago. I did not have the brake pedal depressed when starting (parking brake was on too). I felt it do exactly that, first time it has happened. Very weird!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Sorry man I can't say I noticed it before or read about it...however with the cold snap SC has had. I did notice my car did it last week or two weeks ago. I did not have the brake pedal depressed when starting (parking brake was on too). I felt it do exactly that, first time it has happened. Very weird!

It's a ghost. :noes:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
<cue twilight zone music>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts