Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, the Frankenstein Taurus broke again. As discussed before, it's a 2006 with the 3.0 Valcun engine. It's called the Frankenstien Taurus because when I bought it, the guy said it was never in a wreck but as we found out, it had blown heads and fenders from a 2004 (has the 24v stickers on it despite being a 12v), and had paint overspray on headlight wires. 2 years ago, I replaced the heads and most associated parts to the top of the motor since I bought it and was troubleshooting a cyl 6 misfire. Right now, I'm fighting with a high idle again. I start it and it immediately jumps to 2200 - 2500 RPM. The original IAC I had in it was installed 2 years ago and is Motorcraft. Back when I was first starting to troubleshoot the misfires years ago, I bought a cheap aftermarket one and then I learned on here to only buy Motorcraft... which I have ever since. Everything is Motorcraft on this car. Back to the now. I noticed it was starting to have issues where it didn't want to slow down while in gear and when I put it into neutral, it would spike to 2k-3k RPM every time. It was only intermittant though so I figured I had time to troubleshoot it. I pulled the original IAC and threw in the aftermarket one. Problem seemed resolved for a week and then that one started acting the same way. I removed it, replaced the IAC gasket and put the original one back in and that's when it went from an intermittent issue to a full time high idle issue. I ordered a new IAC and a new gasket, installed them last night and it still revs 2k-3k as soon as you start it. Tried playing with the throttle but didn't seem to make a difference. I'm not popping any codes or a CEL. I've sprayed down the top of the motor with carb cleaner and it doesn't seem to change RPMs so I don't think it's a vacuum leak. Any other thoughts or recommendations? I could be wrong about the vacuum issue but that's why I'm back on the forums. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, the Frankenstein Taurus broke again. As discussed before, it's a 2006 with the 3.0 Valcun engine. It's called the Frankenstien Taurus because when I bought it, the guy said it was never in a wreck but as we found out, it had blown heads and fenders from a 2004 (has the 24v stickers on it despite being a 12v), and had paint overspray on headlight wires. 2 years ago, I replaced the heads and most associated parts to the top of the motor since I bought it and was troubleshooting a cyl 6 misfire. Right now, I'm fighting with a high idle again. I start it and it immediately jumps to 2200 - 2500 RPM. The original IAC I had in it was installed 2 years ago and is Motorcraft. Back when I was first starting to troubleshoot the misfires years ago, I bought a cheap aftermarket one and then I learned on here to only buy Motorcraft... which I have ever since. Everything is Motorcraft on this car. Back to the now. I noticed it was starting to have issues where it didn't want to slow down while in gear and when I put it into neutral, it would spike to 2k-3k RPM every time. It was only intermittant though so I figured I had time to troubleshoot it. I pulled the original IAC and threw in the aftermarket one. Problem seemed resolved for a week and then that one started acting the same way. I removed it, replaced the IAC gasket and put the original one back in and that's when it went from an intermittent issue to a full time high idle issue. I ordered a new IAC and a new gasket, installed them last night and it still revs 2k-3k as soon as you start it. Tried playing with the throttle but didn't seem to make a difference. I'm not popping any codes or a CEL. I've sprayed down the top of the motor with carb cleaner and it doesn't seem to change RPMs so I don't think it's a vacuum leak. Any other thoughts or recommendations? I could be wrong about the vacuum issue but that's why I'm back on the forums. Thanks for the help!
Change the pcv value. Mine is a 2004 an has heated pcv on right side of motor back near the fire wall

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
I would first clean the PCV by spraying it with carb cleaner. I have never had an issue with a PCV on a Vulcan in 30 years of driving them but cleaning it may give to an indication. It should click when shaken. They are not easy to replace without breaking the locking tabs. Also look around the intake by the EGR and PCV inlet. My intake had signs of that area being overheated with the combination of PCV oil and hot exhaust gases. You nay have a hole melted in that area. Of course you should check the fuel trims.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts