Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

I just cleaned up the battery post on my wife's 06 Taurus and now it is hard to start. Turns over fine. Just seems like it is not getting fuel to the rail. It doesn't seem that just cleaning the battery posts wouldhave affected this or am I missing something? It has 61,000 miles on it. First issue we have had except for a leaking cabin air intake. I have not changed the fuel filter yet. This has been going on for about one week.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I doubt fuel filter can clog up in 61k miles. But I don't think you have much choice. Do the low cost maintenance first, spark plugs, fuel filter, clean MAF sensor. Also read the code.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I have exact same problem for a year now. Doesn't do it offten but when it does it cranks well and won't turn over the engine as if it is not getting fuel. I just make sure if that happens, I turn key off and turn key to on without cranking to here pump come on. My fuel filter is changed about every15K so I belive it might be a fuel pump replay going,a problem in the ignition switch or a fule pump going as well. Another thing I notice when this happens my windows will not work for 30 or more seconds or more as it seems like a replay is sticking on that. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
^^^^^ +1

G4.5 is VERY picky about cranking voltage being below a threshold (9.6 V or something like that) and do very strange things if batt voltage during crank drops too low.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Have the battery tested, it could have bad cells. These cars tend to go wacky if the battery goes bad.

2 weeks ago had car stall after I turned fans on high. I do battery check and it was not holding a load well. Bought new battery and car starts great and runs better than ever now. Also the problem I had with idle RPMS moving up and down about 100 for a few years is gone.

Check that battery!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
2 weeks ago had car stall after I turned fans on high. I do battery check and it was not holding a load well. Bought new battery and car starts great and runs better than ever now. Also the problem I had with idle RPMS moving up and down about 100 for a few years is gone.

Check that battery!!!
Mine went bad when the car was only 1 year old! Replaced under warranty, and the dealer put a better one in than Ford did at the factory (I think they've seen tons of Taurus with bad batteries). Ford's roadside assistance number is a joke, I bought AAA right after the dead battery issue (never could get "assistance" from Ford).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts