Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 taurus se v6 3.0. had the engine light checked and received the P0300 codes. Had ignition coil changed about a month ago and the spark plugs were changed last year. Sparks plugs are bosch platinum (i think). Car hesitates when not warmed up but really hesitates when I turn on the A/C. Need to change the fuel filter as i just hit 100k miles and thinking about changing the spark plugs as I was told by 2 people, including the auto parts store, why i was using Bosch spark plugs. Car was running great for about 9-12 months then started acting up again after the replacements. Any suggestions on what else it could be.

·
Registered
214 Posts
P0300 - random or multiple misfire.

I would check your spark plugs just to make sure, but with this code it doesn't sound like a spark plug issue.

Since you changed out your coil pack not too long ago, that would be the first thing I would check as this code could trace back to exactly that.

·
Registered
587 Posts
i get multiple cylinder misfires detected from my dtc scan tool. the only thing i could think of is going with what the auto part store recommended for spark plugs this and the coil pack/packs check them out. if getting a misfire and multiples of it it has to be the plugs or coil pack the only other thing it could be is the brain / pcm cause of the fuel injectors which i highly do not think it is. but you never know so i thought i would say it usually the fuel injector are ground switched by the pcm/ brain if the fuel is not being sent like a timing issue it may screw it up but would most likely set a code. any ways you should replace spark plugs every 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
448 Posts
P0300 usually indicates something that affects multiple cylinders at the same time. So it is unlikely that one spark plug or one fuel injector is messed up.

Some likely things:
Most likely - vaccum leak. On a 06 vulcan it could very well be a major vaccum leak caused by a part of the EGR system. It's a round black thing on the intake manifold on the rear side of the manifold on the passenger side. There's some posts here about the O-ring in it failing causing air leak.

Also possible - bad fuel pump or clogged fuel injector

You already dealt with the coil pack...

Good luck!

·
Registered
587 Posts
i get multiple cylinder misfires detected from my dtc scan tool. the only thing i could think of is going with what the auto part store recommended for spark plugs this and the coil pack/packs check them out. if getting a misfire and multiples of it it has to be the plugs or coil pack the only other thing it could be is the brain / pcm cause of the fuel injectors which i highly do not think it is. but you never know so i thought i would say it usually the fuel injector are ground switched by the pcm/ brain if the fuel is not being sent like a timing issue it may screw it up but would most likely set a code. any ways you should replace spark plugs every 100,000 miles.

by timing issues i mean you may have a faulty ckp crank shaft position sensor or a cmp cam shaft position sensor these calulate a steady wave form and the slow down from the misfire is dected by those listed. those listed help with spark advance and engine speed siganl to the pcm. so if one is weak or faulty you may get a missfire. but should set a cel not sure if my book is the right one for your car it only goes to the year 2005 lol'z so i am guessing it covers it but unsure.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I was getting this code but no drive-ability concerns at the time at about 32K. I took it to dealer and they had to re-flash the PCM. There was some kind of a TSB on it. That solved my codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2006 taurus se v6 3.0. had the engine light checked and received the P0300 codes. Had ignition coil changed about a month ago and the spark plugs were changed last year. Sparks plugs are bosch platinum (i think). Car hesitates when not warmed up but really hesitates when I turn on the A/C. Need to change the fuel filter as i just hit 100k miles and thinking about changing the spark plugs as I was told by 2 people, including the auto parts store, why i was using Bosch spark plugs. Car was running great for about 9-12 months then started acting up again after the replacements. Any suggestions on what else it could be.
Does turning on the A/C really affect power when spark plugs are the issue? This is my big concern. Could that mean that I have a bad pvc valve or egr, etc. Anyone have this issue that was fixed by simply changing the spark plugs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having similair issue getting a P0352 code... changed coil no luck, changed plugs (runs alot better but still misfiring) and my A/C is not working either.... how do you re flash your pcm?? I even had battery checked...

however I am wondering does anyone think that maybe the alternator is going and it's not providing enough juice for spark? I would think it could also cause the A/C to stop so that it does not put more strain on the engine???

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am having similair issue getting a P0352 code... changed coil no luck, changed plugs (runs alot better but still misfiring) and my A/C is not working either.... how do you re flash your pcm?? I even had battery checked...

however I am wondering does anyone think that maybe the alternator is going and it's not providing enough juice for spark? I would think it could also cause the A/C to stop so that it does not put more strain on the engine???

a p0302 is cylinder two missfire detected. it is either cylinder two fuel injector or it spark plug and if it has it own coil check that too.

as for the egr i do not think it would be that on the origanl post like i am saying the ckp and the cmp sensor one may be weak or going bad. there are ways to test it in a hayness manual but i am not going to write the hole thing up and post it. it would take way to long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does turning on the A/C really affect power when spark plugs are the issue? This is my big concern. Could that mean that I have a bad pvc valve or egr, etc. Anyone have this issue that was fixed by simply changing the spark plugs?
i dont think its my alternator. I had that replaced last year as well. I drive a lot as i am a pizza delivery driver. So i am going thru my 3rd alternator, 3rd ignition coil pack but first set of spark plugs being replaced. Where is the EGR valve sensor and the PVC valve so I can replace it. Also, what is the best fuel injector cleaner to use. Maybe that will clear up the hesitation when I turn on my A/C. Also, battery was replaced earlier this year so that is new. What can I say. I am putting a beating on the car and the only issues are the misfiring cylinders.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hello,i have been having the same problem with my 2006,and also the p300 code,i took my bull to the dealer today and they insist it is the air valve on the back of the upper intake(no gasket leak )just a bad valve,they also said its unavaible until mid august.

·
Registered
448 Posts
hello,i have been having the same problem with my 2006,and also the p300 code,i took my bull to the dealer today and they insist it is the air valve on the back of the upper intake(no gasket leak )just a bad valve,they also said its unavaible until mid august.
That's the valve I was talking about in my post earlier. I don't know what they mean by no gasket leak because something has to be leaking to cause the misfire. Take a spray bottle and spray very light mist of water on the valve to see if engine RPM changes. If it does, that gasket is worn out. Take one of out a suitable oil filter and replace it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i dont think its my alternator. I had that replaced last year as well. I drive a lot as i am a pizza delivery driver. So i am going thru my 3rd alternator, 3rd ignition coil pack but first set of spark plugs being replaced. Where is the EGR valve sensor and the PVC valve so I can replace it. Also, what is the best fuel injector cleaner to use. Maybe that will clear up the hesitation when I turn on my A/C. Also, battery was replaced earlier this year so that is new. What can I say. I am putting a beating on the car and the only issues are the misfiring cylinders.
Went to Advance Auto parts and had the CEL checked again. This time it said 5 out of 6 cylinders were misfiring. Guy says "WOW." If this were true then you wouldn't be running. Says that since the light wasnt cleared last time, the P0300 code is saved in the computer and will always throw the code but not much else. He says could be the camshaft and crankshaft sensors and that I should change them out. One thing I noticed also was when I checked the wires on the spark plugs, there was no immediate spark the closer the wiring got to the ignition coil connection, only when the boot was over the opening. Does anyone have pictures or an owners manual for a 2006 Taurus...I dont think they made one for this year, From what I am getting online. What about a 2005...just trying to figure out where the camshaft and crankshaft sensor are located.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hello again,cant find a vac leak anywhere,also an oil filter gasket does not fit on the manifold air valve,at lease not on mine,its uses a large oring,the square cut seal on the oil filter will not let the valve seat all the way back in.however i question the mechanic at the dealer,if it was the air valve a code would be set.right?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The first thing I would do is change out those Bosch spark plugs for Autolite double platinums or Motorcraft fine wire plugs. While your doing that, check the resistance of every plug wire, it's possable you have a bad wire or two, even new wires can be defective.

Next, go to the topic finder on the poor start, bad acceleration '04+ Vulcan engines. Check the manifold air valve with starting fluid. If you go to fordparts.com, there's a part # for that o-ring 4x4z-9h490. It's a dealer only part, and will probably need to be ordered. Ford calls it the "intake manifold air valve assembly".

·
Registered
49 Posts
It could be a cylinder misfiring, or maybe the coil pac is bad, even if it's been replaced recently it could have been faulty. I have been using Uridium plugs on my Taurus and the difference is so wonderful that I smile when I accelerate! Bosch has great products but just because they say it's the BEST doesn't always work on what you're driving. Every Taurus is a little different. Some take to stock plugs and wiring and some go on other brands. I think it's a personal preference of the vehicle! If it doesn't like what you put in it, it's going to spew it back at ya! I just mentioned to a guy a few minutes ago that unless you run a diagnostics or get a good reading on the codes that are kicking out, then you are stressing needlessly. First get the codes and then gets the parts to troubleshoot your areas. Good Luck to you :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've got my first Bull ten days ago. When car was cold it would hesitate. Last Saturday I've shampooed the engine. Sunday morning as soon as I started driving CEL come on. I've got P0305 code (misfire in cylinder 5) and I got someone to reset the code. By the time I got home, CEL was on again. That evening I've sprayed some water on ignition wires and I've seen sparks on the wire near cylinder 5. Next day I've changed ignition wires and cleared CEL. This time it was P0300 (random misfire).

So, since you've changed coil and spark plugs, I suggest that you change ignition wires :)

Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts