Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '06 Taurus with 130k miles. There is a vibration in the front end that shakes the steering wheel when going 60 mph or greater. It is a very rapid vibration. When I let off the gas and front end dips slightly to the pavent vibration worsens, likewise when I accelerate while already going 60mph or beter then the vibration actually decreases.

I just recently bought the car and put on new tires and had them balanced, but vibration still exists. However not quite as bad as before. I also replaced the brakes and rotors myself because they were due, but no improvement.

I have done a little bit of reading and heard that it could be anything from the CV joints, tie rod end, or even the motor mounts. Could someone maybe help me pinpoint exactly what is wrong. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
From what you are saying it does sound like a CV Joint related issue.

You can check the motor mounts easily. Follow like I did in my video:

Fully depress parking brake. Fully depress the regular brake with the car in D and/or R rev it up a bit.

You can also do the wheel wobble test. Grab the wheel @ 12 and 6...push and pull like you are turning the wheel see if there's movement. Check at 9 and 3 too.

I had a CV joint issue:

Ended up just buying new CV axles.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
With CV joints you would usually hear a clicking noise while turning. The first thing I would do to do a home check on your front end is jack up the car, get both front wheels off the ground. Then do the wheel wiggle at 3 & 9 and then at 12 & 6. Each will give you a direction to look for repairs. With the 3 & 6 wiggle your looking at possible tie rod repair. With the 12 & 6 your looking at possible ball joint repair. If both of those check out OK, then you will be looking at wheel bearings. While up in the air, you can also look at your CV joints for damage and grab the axle shaft to check for play there. The other possibility is you have nothing wrong with your suspention, but your wheels are bent or damaged. I would rotate your front tires to the back and see if the vibration changes any, this could tell you if you have a bent wheel or bad tire. While the front is in the air, you can also cherck your end links, sway bar & mounts and your sub frame bushings. Spend a little time under the front and try to locate the cause of your vibration.
One last thing, you said the car has 130K, are you riding on the original struts & springs???

·
Registered
58 Posts
60+ shaking is loose Saw Bar link. Ford is cheap and uses plactic parts on ALL the bottom of the car. I have the same problem in mine, and it turns out that the Sway Bar link (plastic) wasn't screwed in all the way, and now it shakes, which causes the car to shake.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jack up the car and check all 4 corners for a bent rim.

I just had the same problem. At just a hair under 60mph the car would start to shake and above 65mph it was almost dangerous. I put it up on the lift and it turned out to be the rear driver side wheel was rotating out of alignment.

I ordered a used replacement rim offline and $100 later the problem was solved.

Good luck!

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Possible wheel vibration causes:

Tie Rod end
Ball joint
Hub
Damaged Control Arm Bushings
CV Joints

Sounds like you have bad struts. Based on your mileage I would say all of the above are likely. I would start by looking at the control arm/ball joints and tie rods. If you can't find play in the wheel, it might be strut related, or tire. A bent rim sounds somewhat unlikely because of the fact that it happens at certain speeds. It's possible that you have a bad tire or a balance or alignment issue.

Someone above me did a nice job detailing how one checks the front end of their car. Once you learn how to do this, you might end up saving yourself a lot of money by knowing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A bent rim sounds somewhat unlikely because of the fact that it happens at certain speeds. It's possible that you have a bad tire or a balance or alignment issue.
Then I guess it was just coincidence that replacing the rim solved my issue. :rolleyes2: Depending on the severity of the "bent" rim, it might not be as noticeable at around town speeds like it is on the highway.

OP, if your going to jack the car up to check for play in the suspension components, take the extra 2 minutes and give each wheel a spin and look to see if any are out of kilter.

EDIT: I did also replace my rear struts after replacing the wheel and that was another part of the problem (more of an issue above 65mph and solved my bouncy ride), so it is possible that you need some suspension work. However looking for and replacing a bent rim or fubar tire is the easiest and quickest thing to look for on the checklist. IMHO that is.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Then I guess it was just coincidence that replacing the rim solved my issue. :rolleyes2: Depending on the severity of the "bent" rim, it might not be as noticeable at around town speeds like it is on the highway.
Did your vibration decrease after going above a certain speed, like the op indicated? I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't the cause, however the first post made me think otherwise right away.

EDIT: I did also replace my rear struts after replacing the wheel and that was another part of the problem (more of an issue above 65mph and solved my bouncy ride), so it is possible that you need some suspension work. However looking for and replacing a bent rim or fubar tire is the easiest and quickest thing to look for on the checklist. IMHO that is.
I was alerted by him saying that his front end dips. His struts are probably tired, whether it is causing the vibrations I'm not sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did your vibration decrease after going above a certain speed, like the op indicated? I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't the cause, however the first post made me think otherwise right away.

I was alerted by him saying that his front end dips. His struts are probably tired, whether it is causing the vibrations I'm not sure.
Yes. Now that I re-read the original post, I would say its the front strut assemblies that need replaced. If when braking the vibration is worse, thus putting more force on the front end making it more intense of a shake, and vice versa with acceleration taking the load off the front end easing the intensity of the vibration, then it sounds to me like front struts are the cause rather than a bent rim.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Try rotating the tires to see if you have a bad rim first. Loose ball joints can also cause this, combined with bad struts.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
make you check tire air pressure too.

I drove my friend's car and that had the front end shake over 45 mph. Checked the pressure and it was like 18 & 19 psi in the front!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could possibly be an alignment issue, especially if the rack is getting a little loose. If a front wheel were toed out slightly it would cause this to occur. Is the steering wheel centered? Has it changed recently due to pot holes or winter weather driving?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Could possibly be an alignment issue, especially if the rack is getting a little loose. If a front wheel were toed out slightly it would cause this to occur. Is the steering wheel centered? Has it changed recently due to pot holes or winter weather driving?
I was thinking alignment myself. Also, mine did that until I replaced both ball joints and inner and outer tie rods. Actually in my case, the ball joint on the passenger in particular busted in half right as it was being pulled out - I just hope if that's the issue, it gets repaired - Hate to hear about accidents that could've been avoided with proper maintinence. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a shake in my 98 over 70 mph. Shakes the same with the winter wheel set and summer wheel set. Both balanced regularly and rotated. New struts, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering box, and hubs. No play anywhere.

New CV shafts too. They helped a bit. Putting the car on the jack, you can see that there is play where the passenger side driveshaft enters the transmission. Seems that bearing, wherever it is, is worn.

Anybody have this problem, and if so, how do you change the bearing??

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
There will always be play on that side. There is no bearing that can easily be replaced.

Check your alignment and LCA for bad bushings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There will always be play on that side. There is no bearing that can easily be replaced.

Check your alignment and LCA for bad bushings.
Hm. Lower control arm? OK.

You know it almost feels like it's from the rear of the car rather than the front, like a "hop". But all the wheels are round (not oval) and all that. I'l check all the suspension bushings everywhere. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It sounds like a good suggestion. The drums I put on were a discount brand. I found a good deal on Raybestos professional grade so I'll put those on.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
check the rear brakes. I tracked down my vibration to bad drums.
Good ovservation. Easy to think fronts cause pulsation/humping. Rears can do the same but easy to check. Parking brake apply coasting at 20-30 mph tells the story. Just did rear disc on my '02 Lin cont.

Wonder how many fronts are redone when they were not at fault.

Have seen drums do this also, but usually they are damaged or rusty.

-chart-

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm sorry to bring this necropost up, however, I seem to have the same issue. The car doesn't dip , but on my 2003 ford Taurus v6 se. When I go over 55 mph and up to 65 (when it stops) the car shakes. Also it shakes more when applying the brake. How bad could this turn out to be? Price of the above listed things? (Guesstimate please, I don't want to force you or anyone else to look at prices for me, I just want a range) possible causes? I was told by the previous owner that it needed new strut joints. Idk how long they drove it like this either, but the car has a lot of problems mainly caused by rust. What will happen if they go out while driving!? I know these are a bit out there, but I'm not rich. I work and live on a taco bell pay of 8.00 at around 21 hrs a week. My pay isn't great at all, so I don't know how long it will take me to repair these things based on buying and installing parts. Also car happens to pull to the right a little bit....well....a lot actually. A lot more than some other cars I've driven.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts