Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was browsing the web and this is supposedly what the new Chevy Impala is going to look like in around 2006. It's a car in production based off of the same car the GTO is based off from. It's 4 doors, rear wheel drive, and has a 3.4L V6 and a V8 option.

It's a damn nice interior!! The car pictured is the "SS" version.

-Kyle

Attachments

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nope. It's a Chevy Lumina SS that's only sold in the Middle East.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
kYLE Where's the link? I really have no comment on the car, its looks "GM" for sure. I just have a hard time believeing Impala is switching to rear wheel drive. In its current configuration it has been in the top ten best sellers for a few years now and selling more each year. The only reason I could fathom a a switch would be to sell more cop cars. Still I would like to see a few more smaller US cars with rear wheel drive, maybe this a trend!

·
Registered
443 Posts
GM has no originality anymore they are design and idea thieves who prey upon the work of those brave enough to innovate. oh and

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
I like the gauge cluster layout though; tach and speedo right smack in the middle...though the red in the tach is a little too much for "redline"

·
Registered
359 Posts
I like it

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Yeah, I like it too, what's wrong with you people?
Any new RWD sedan that comes to market should be praised, Chevy or not.

(I openly would love an early-90's Impala SS; much more preferably an Aussie Falcon, though)

(Smilie added to ensure "light" insult is taken as a joke)

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Feb 22 2004, 06:59 PM
(I openly would love an early-90's Impala SS; much more preferably an Aussie Falcon, though)
My Marauder would smoke it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussed this a while back at the Impala forum, first of all that car has been made SINCE 2000, so its not stealing our steering wheels.

GOt some more pics to it. Its sold as a Caprice, but has the Impala badge over that on the rear, something about Impalas and maybe societal objections in the middles east.

BASE engine is the 5.7 V8, Optional is a 3.6 V6. Thats like the SHO V8 coming in SE Tauruses with the option to up(down)grade to a Duratec

As for coming here, I know many current GM w-body owners would be all over it if it came prices around mid 20s. But thats VERY doubtful. One of the big things is safety, they're quite more lax over there. Over there they can leave the gas tank behind the rear axle, cant over here, thats why the new GTO has a big hump over the rear axle cuz they had to move the tank forward. Also I believe they dont have O2 sensors and cats over there, so perf. would suffer over here.

But stil a 4dr full size V8 RWD 6spd AMERICAN sedan for around 25k???? That would be fawkin awesome and show the imports who's the ****ing boss!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
BTW that interior OWNS g4 tauruses!!!!

But then a g1 STILL owns g4 interiors, tell Ford not to do a crappy copy of crap GM dashes. At least make it smaller and slimmer like the 2000+ Impalas. <_<

·
Registered
663 Posts
The 2005 Mustang is supposed to be that magical affordable RWD v8 car. Affordable RWD cars are very hard to come by now, but we are right at the beginning of what I think is the comeback of RWD cars and increasing popularity of AWD cars.

By the end of this decade, GM will dominate the RWD car market in America: Kappa platform (Solstice and Nomad), VE platform (W-body replacement), RWD Caddies (STS, CTS, and unknown ultralux cars), GTO, Corvette, next Camaro/Firebird, new RWD Buicks, etc.

I think Ford might concentrate more on AWD for their mainstream passenger vehicles.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Originally posted by MISHNAH@Feb 27 2004, 04:05 AM
One of the big things is safety, they're quite more lax over there. Over there they can leave the gas tank behind the rear axle, cant over here, thats why the new GTO has a big hump over the rear axle cuz they had to move the tank forward. Also I believe they dont have O2 sensors and cats over there, so perf. would suffer over here.
The next Gen Impala will be RWD as well as the next Gen Grand Prix. GM is moving back to RWD platforms, a brave move in todays market, but one I think will pay off.

The GTO's gas tank is not in front of the axle; it is behind the rear seat in the trunk, thus the extrememly small trunk (space for one set of gold clubs).

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
GM is pulling out all the stops cause they're losing marketshare like a crazy... that, and their rep for producing shotty cars, its hurting them bad... i forget where i was (msn autos?) but they said on the current trend, Toyota will overtake GM as the largest car maker in the world in 3 yrs (by sales) and GM will go second, then ford... Problem w/ GM is they own too many brands, like ford, and Toy only has 3 (lexus and Scion)... But I have to say, I wont be sorry when GM loses to Toy, but i will be sorry if toy actually takes #1

1 - 20 of 23 Posts