Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a dumb question-I have a 2006 SE with the am/fm radio w/cassette. Can I just replace the control unit with a used factory cd player without any wiring changes? I really just want a single cd and if I can just swap it out in a few minutes, that would be just perfect.
I'm guessing that a 2004-2006 unit would work, am I right? And lastly, would I require a code to get the new (used unit off of Ebay) unit working.

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
an 06 with a cassette?!? wow. i dont know the answer to your question but i would assume its just a pop out the radio/climate control unit and put in one with a cd. but i dont know. im sure someone does though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
an 06 with a cassette?!? wow. i dont know the answer to your question but i would assume its just a pop out the radio/climate control unit and put in one with a cd. but i dont know. im sure someone does though.
[/b]

Yep, an 06 with a cassette. Just bought it (dealership business car with low miles) and just figured I'd change it out. That was before I noticed how it was mounted and before I found out about how the unit is configured (in the trunk).

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I have no experience with a Gen 4, but you should be able to buy a factory HU with the in-dash CD player and just swap it out. The RCU only holds the Radio receiver functions, presets, and amps.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
You're correct on needing an '04-07 CD player, since you have the integrated passenger airbag light. The older G4s don't have that, making them incompatible.

It *should* plug straight in and work...the RCU is the same between cassette and CD models.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
You may also need this.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-b5dpxmgjGI3/A...spx?I=120995717

:) try using the "outfit my car" to see what your going to need. Usually harness and adapters come along with the headunit you buy. For FREE from crutchfield. thats where i'm going to get my headunit and speakers from next. :D :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
You don't need a dash adapter kit for a stock CD player...it all fits just like the cassette player. Like this, only in a newer car:

To get an in-dash CD player in a Gen 3, you do need to go aftermarket, though.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
You don't need a dash adapter kit for a stock CD player...it all fits just like the cassette player. Like this, only in a newer car:

To get an in-dash CD player in a Gen 3, you do need to go aftermarket, though.
[/b]
Thanks for the correction. I was thinking he wanted to go aftermarker :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys-no I don't need aftermarket. I don't listen to cd's that much and the older I get the worse my hearing is, so I couldn't tell the difference anyway.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
You can also just add a CD changer in the trunk. It plugs right into the electronic unit in the trunk near the antenna.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/b]

Hey where did u get that lipkit from mine has the side ones but not the front or the back???

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The front lip is from a late model Mach 1 Mustang...made to fit '99-'04 Mustangs. The lip spoiler on the trunk is on eBay. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts