Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got some issues to work out on my "new" 2005 Ford Taurus SE before she is roadworthy again. Hoping you guys can help me out along the way.

I bought the car with two inches of water in the trunk - apart from moldy carpet and a very rusty spare tire, there doesn't seem to be any other damage. However, the transmission has started to act up.

The car shifts very hard from 1-2, and it shifts late into 3 and 4 (sometimes doesn't seem to shift into 4). Driving it for several minutes makes "Gear 2 ratio incorrect" and "Gear 3 ratio incorrect" show up on my scanner. I replaced the OSS sensor after scanning these forums, but I think the old one was good - nothing changed, and the old one's resistance read 471 ohms (new one: 477 ohms).

Can you guys give me an idea as to what might be wrong/what it'll take to make it all work again?

I have access to a shop w/lift, tranny jack, etc, so would like to do all the work myself.

Thanks!:D

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Post ALL of the codes that show on your scanner, it will help everyone here cut to a quicker solution for your problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, here goes:

P0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P0733 - Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio

I also saw P1001 - Key On/Engine Running Not Able to Complete

...but that one never came back once I initially cleared the codes.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
damnthistransmission said:
P0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P0733 - Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio
Those codes seem to point toward shift solenoid problems. I will let the more informed members here provide more detail.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Not a common problem, I don't think we're going to have an easy solution for you.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
There have been some rare issues with the trans harness rubbing thru on the trans side cover causing all sorts of issues. Check the harness from the trans connector for damage.

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Hey guys, I've got some issues to work out on my "new" 2005 Ford Taurus SE before she is roadworthy again. Hoping you guys can help me out along the way.

I bought the car with two inches of water in the trunk - apart from moldy carpet and a very rusty spare tire, there doesn't seem to be any other damage. However, the transmission has started to act up.

The car shifts very hard from 1-2, and it shifts late into 3 and 4 (sometimes doesn't seem to shift into 4). Driving it for several minutes makes "Gear 2 ratio incorrect" and "Gear 3 ratio incorrect" show up on my scanner. I replaced the OSS sensor after scanning these forums, but I think the old one was good - nothing changed, and the old one's resistance read 471 ohms (new one: 477 ohms).

Can you guys give me an idea as to what might be wrong/what it'll take to make it all work again?

I have access to a shop w/lift, tranny jack, etc, so would like to do all the work myself.

Thanks!:D
P0732 Ford

P0732 Ford - Incorrect Second Gear Ratio

Repair Importance Level: 3/3
Repair Difficulty Level: 3/3

Tweet

[URL="http://engine-codes.com/p0732_ford.html#"]9[/URL]

| Add Comment
Forum Code

Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty Shift Solenoids
- Shift Solenoids harness is open or shorted
- Shift Solenoids circuit poot electrical connection
- Transmission mechanical problems
- Transmission hydraulic control circuit

Read more: P0732 Ford Incorrect Second Gear Ratio OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

-chart-

·
Registered
507 Posts
When was the last time you dropped the pan and replaced the filter, cleaned the magnet and pan and put in around 7 quarts of full synthetic trans fluid? Maintenance is the key to long transmission life, considering how little attention the transmission seems to get these days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hm, I haven't cleaned or changed out fluid in the tranny yet - just got the car a few days ago and these problems appeared after just a few miles of driving. I'll pick up a filter and several quarts of fluid.

I was going to follow powertoolman's write-up to pull out the valve body and test the solenoids. Here's my suspicions based on my basic understanding of auto transmissions and a bit of reading:

1. Harsh 1-2 shift is probably a busted accumulator piston but it could be a shearing pump shaft.

2. Late shifts to 3 and 4 might be the shift solenoids, and you guys' responses make me feel that this is the first thing I should check out, so I'll pull the valve body this weekend.

Oh, do any of you guys know which solenoids are on for which gears? I know 2nd gear is the failsafe, aka all solenoids off.

Thanks all for the replies, I'll report back once I pull the valve body out.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I would do the filter change and refill with Mercon V first before the valve body hassle. Just could be things sticking and fresh fluid could cure it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I agree, change the fluid first and put a drain plug in the pan while your at it. This will allow for easier service in the future.
The friction modifiers in the fluid breakdown with many heat cycles and are likely the cause of many problems.
A particle shearing of the pump shaft isn't likely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK guys, I've got an update.

Changing the filter and fluid (which looked pretty new) didn't do anything. I found some clutch material on the magnet, and just one metal flake.

I pulled off the valve body today and whacked the solenoids with 12 volts. All of them sounded "good" clicky. I have a bad feeling that this is an internal problem. I'll look around for the proper procedure to drop the tranny and open it up.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
If your gonna pull out the trannie I'd just pop a fresh reman back in and be done. That is unless your a experienced trans guy. The work to pull the trans and guess repair it doesn't warrant the work in my book.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK guys, I've got an update.

Changing the filter and fluid (which looked pretty new) didn't do anything. I found some clutch material on the magnet, and just one metal flake.

I pulled off the valve body today and whacked the solenoids with 12 volts. All of them sounded "good" clicky. I have a bad feeling that this is an internal problem. I'll look around for the proper procedure to drop the tranny and open it up.
Hey. I'm also getting a P0732 and P0733 code. My tranny starts to shift poorly sometimes only after the car is up to operating tempeture. Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts