Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Haha HG, I scabbed those from a friend. He was going to throw them away, and like the pack rat that I am, home they came. My front deck needs leveling this spring and they might come in handy. Lol WF, the police would love that, no lights and no plate. Would look cool though. The last couple of days were taken up with other things, but this morning I managed to get back at it. Have to get rear bumper done before I can put the rear end back together. So I had to cut rot from passenger side, shown on the left in this pic, 1.jpg . Here's a shot with patches done, 2.jpg . This last pic shows it all cleaned up and treated with metal prep, 3..jpg . I will let that dry overnight, and tomorrow I will treat it with the POR,

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
We are 2 hours into a major blizzard, calling for 30-40 cm of snow with wind gusts exceeding 110 km. Wrapped it up early. Wanted to grab a shower before we lose power. Haha a poet. Today I continued on with rear underneath. Did some reinforcement of frame just above the fuel filler pipe, 1.jpg , 2.jpg . As well I welded, cleaned, and seam sealed two small patches inside the trunk, 3.jpg . This is the last cutting and welding left to do, 4.jpg . It's the bottom of the rear quarter panel, drivers side, which anchors the bottom of the rear bumper cover. Hope to have that done tomorrow, Thursday, then I can give it a final clean up and treat it with metal prep. Letting that dry overnight, on Friday I will apply the POR, and Saturday I will be putting it all back together. Its been a long haul, but then there is no better way to chew up the winter months.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Ok, I got the patch in. Being as how you all witnessed the 1st patch done, I found it only fitting that you all witness the final patch done. So I dedicate this post to it, 1.jpg . The welding is all done. If your wondering about the blue color, its metal I scabbed from an old furnace. It's 18 gage, thicker than what NAPA stocks, and the old adage, waste not want not, rings true. What you see on the bottom is a flange, which I will bend to 90 degrees with the lower edge, to serve as the lip for securing the bumper cover. I will clean it up tomorrow. Got all the rest cleaned up and metal prepped, so I will be on schedule for applying the POR. Took me 3 hrs to plow the driveway this afternoon. We got dumped on big time yesterday, and last night. Man, was it ever heavy. The old Cheet was spinning some wheels today, but she got er done. Hope all is having a good day.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Forgot about the hat rail that supports the passenger side floor, so I guess i'm not quite finished with welding. I think I will address that tomorrow. Today I finished up putting the rear end back together and began with the body clean up. A few pics, it's starting to look pretty good, 1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg . I still have a few things to do besides the finish work on the rockers, which won't be done for another month or so , not until the weather gets better. ABS light is on, so I need to trouble shoot that. As well, the air bag light is flashing. I noticed, the passenger air bag is off, light is on, but it goes off when I sit in the seat. So I assume this is normal. Could be a pita tracking down these problems. Anyway,cheers for now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I decided to make my own section of hat rail needed. Took a piece of sheet metal, 15 inches long, and using my welding table for the straight edge, a hammer for the press, I carefully beat on that sheet metal and came up with this, 1.jpg , 1a.jpg . As I stated earlier, I got ahead of myself, and installed the carpet plus the passenger seat, forgetting about having to do the hat rail. The seat needs to come out and the carpet peeled back, to do the welding. Couldn't find the motivation to do this today, so I decided to continue on cleaning the restoration residue from her body. Here is the result,[/ATTACH]. 2a.jpg Got the front jacked up and on stands. Had another small coolant leak. At least this time the clamp was there, just had to take another turn on the worm screw. alls good now. The wheel is of as I'm having issues with the ball joint nut. ITS siezed 1/2 way on, and the joint shaft is turning on the knuckle, thus I can"t move it either way. May have to heat it. For now I soaked it with PB blaster and will give it another try tomorrrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I finially got all the issues resolved, or so I thought. There was a hidden issue, and it turned my 1st adventure with the rust bucket into a drag. I was going down the road, keeping a sharp eye and ear to the operation of the car, and all was good. Suspension tight, no shimmys or rattles, no warning lights, life was going smooth. The only problem I found was the alignment, which I must say was not too bad, considering the extensive work done to the front end. Got to town, going around a corner it died. No warning, and no indication of problems. It would not start up. Can't repeat the words that was said on here. I was forced to have it flat bedded back home. So I went to work and checked for spark, all good. Next I pulled a plug, bone dry. So it's not getting fuel. There was no smell of gas, so I knew there were no leaks. Maybe the filter. At this point something was nagging at the back of my mind, and then it hit me . After I finished installing the fuel system originally, I put a 20 dollar jug of gas in the tank. The gauge was reading 1/2 tank. It didn't register with me at the time (Im a dumbass), but there is no way that 20.00 will bring an empty tank up to the 1/2 mark. So on a bet, before I went any further, I dropped some gas in her, and bingo she fired up. I believe the float is hung up on something, hence the false reading of 1/4 tank when it died. No moral to the story, but if I could learn to be more vigilant, it might save me a bunch of money, haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I keep coming back to this log. The bucket must be driving well. The wife is happy and electoroguy75 must be happy too!
Did you get an alignment done?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Yeah DWB, I was glad it wasn't anything more serious as well. This time, rather than drop the gas tank, I measured off and cut the floor out and installed a hinged hatch to facilitate access to the fuel pump. Worked out perfect. no more dropping gas tanks. Sorry no pics. I took them, but the sd card reader on my laptop quit working so I can't upload them. Hi Hg Rising. Thank you for your interest in this project. Yes the car is inspected, all legal now, and both the rust bucket and my wife are moving on down the road with big smiles on their faces. I have an appointment for Monday, May5, to get it aligned. Just a side note, Im not allowed to drive it. My wife complains about the dirt and grease Im always getting involved with, and she doesn't want it on her seats and steering wheel, hahahahaha, got to love her. Sorry for the late update but I have been extremely busy getting dirty and greasy lol. Oh yeah, I still have to do the finish body work on the rocker panels, whenever I can get it away from her. Cheers for now.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Good to hear that all is well. I have cut access hatches in other vehicles to do fuel pumps/sending units, always wondered why they aren't designed that way. Guess that would make things too easy for the DIY'ers...

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I have cut access hatches in other vehicles to do fuel pumps/sending units, always wondered why they aren't designed that way. Guess that would make things too easy for the DIY'ers...
You can thank the lawyers for that. There's a lot of liability in having an access panel between the fuel tank and the cabin in the event of an accident. Even if it's a one in a million chance of an accident causing a fire and damaging the panel, that one in a million could cost many millions.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You can thank the lawyers for that. There's a lot of liability in having an access panel between the fuel tank and the cabin in the event of an accident. Even if it's a one in a million chance of an accident causing a fire and damaging the panel, that one in a million could cost many millions.
Yeah madscientist, you are correct, forgot to take the 'Litigation Nation' into account!

·
Registered
115 Posts
looks good just read through the entire build log, that much rust makes me cringe lol. It's come a long way and looks great keep up the good work.. and even though I live in Oklahoma it makes me want to do some rust preventative.. Now the question is rubberized undercoating or bedliner.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)
Interesting call on the legal ramifications of creating an access hatch to the fuel pump. However, I will decide whats good for me, not the law, and don't ask why I have this tude happening. Enough said on that subject. Yeah dwb, I'm pleased with the outcome and will do it again if need be. Thank you sheila, for the kind words, your opinion means a lot to me. cj92, you have great patiences to read through this entire blog. My opinion on rubberized undercoating, it sucks. It traps moisture, and the rust that's there will continue it's evil deeds two fold. As for bed liner, no opinion, never used it. Now por-15, it's the cat's meow, as far as I'm concerned, but it wants the rust to be there to work good. Check out Eastwood, gooogle it, If you follow instructions, then you will be pleased with the outcome. Can't think of anymore to say, so now I will shut up, hehe. Cheers all. Oh, by the way mad scientist, no disrespect intended, I have a lot of respect for your knowledgeable input.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
HOLY **** that's some horrible rot you have there!! Good luck but that would be the point in which I would give up. I just hope the mounting locations aren't rusted though as well. Good luck!
By the way all, this post was what motivated me, I thank you sousa. Cheers my friend.

·
Administrator
14,993 Posts
Interesting call on the legal ramifications of creating an access hatch to the fuel pump. However, I will decide whats good for me, not the law, and don't ask why I have this tude happening...
Electroguy, I am sure Madscientist's post was in response to DWB's regarding designing the car with an access hole and not cutting one yourself. I am also quite sure that in the absence of Sousa's post you still would have been sufficiently motivated if only just to beat the salt monster.;) It seems to be part of who you are and I salute you for it

How's the Jeep coming?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Thank you Mark. Your right on both counts, and the law comment was probably better left unsaid. It was not meant to be directed to madscientist, but to the law itself. For the most part I have complete confidence in the laws of the land, but there are a few antiquated laws that rankle me, and IMO, are just plain silly. I'm sure that's why I said what I said. I haven't had the opportunity to start on the jeep yet. I Have some work to do on my wifes old car(2002 focus) before I can put it up for sale, so it's got priority.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
My thoughts are up until the 2000s all my fuel pumps last the life of the car. No value into adding a hatch for that. Instead of the hatch, put three bucks more design into the pump so it lasts the life of the car. I believe the average life design is 150k miles on Motorcraft pumps. Mt 90s Taurus didn't need anything replaced. Both ran until I got rid of them at 245k miles

141 - 160 of 174 Posts