Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well, I guess today was meant to be a glitchy one. Just got finished cutting rust from the drivers front floor use1.jpg and a friend dropped by with his laptop. It was working miserably. 2 hours later he left with a happy lappy lol. I then returned to the garage, and 10 minutes into tacking in the 1st patch, my welder ran out of wire. use2.jpg . I figure it's a sign and i better quit for the day. Monday I will purchase another reel of wire and continue on. Sorry for the bad pics, 1 out of every 100 comes out clear haha.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Just to keep those interested up to date, today, after having to go to town for wire, I finished up the drivers front floor pan. dse1.jpg . All that is left to do inside is the drivers side rear pan. use2.jpg . As you can see its not too major. Tomorrow I will cut that rust out and weld new metal in. It shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour to complete that job, which means I hope to have the interior all cleaned up and seam sealed by the end of the day. Again sorry for bad pics, but the truth be known, I don't expect them to ever get any better lol. Cheers all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well my 1st chore today was to head to town and pick up some supplies, seam sealer,metal prep, and a can of por-15. When I got back, using the wire wheel I cleaned up my welds. Then i treated it all with metal prep. Next I sealed all the seams with, you got it, seam sealer. use1.jpg . use2.jpg . After that set up I gave the interior the 1st coat of por. Passenger front use3.jpg , drivers front use4.jpg , passenger rear use5.jpg , and drivers rear use6.jpg . Once that sets up, 2-4 hours, I will give it a 2nd coat of por. That will be the last step and the interior will be finished. I hope all is having a good day. Cheers

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Are you using flux core wire or gas and plain wire for your welds. Using gas gets you to the point that there is really no clean up except for a quick wipe down it lacquer thinner.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thank you redcoat. I thought it might be entertaining, to some, to share in my daily endeavors. Yeah automender, i agree, gas is much cleaner, but im using flux core. Wire wheel makes quick work of the cleanup though. Thks for ur interest.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I nominate electroguy75 "Fabricator of the Month"!!! I'm truly impressed!
Haha, your too kind Sheila. It must be the combination of these old blind eyes and shaky hands working in sync with each other. Now I only wished it would work with taking pics. Lol. Cheers

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Are you tacking the underside of your repairs or is the bottom side rough. I didn't know if you had inspections in Canada that would look at the underside.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes sir, i'm going to tack underneath, positioning my welds between the tacks from above. I will also seam seal it all. Makes for a nice water tight finish. Yes all vehicles in Canada must be inspected mechanically, but there is no emission inspections in Canada. From what i have been reading from you Americans, I would say that is probably a good thing lol. Cheers my friend.

·
Registered
284 Posts
We have Emissions in Ontario, which my Taurus has passed each time with flying colours each time :) It has rust though unfortunately:(

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Almost done, looks like you are going to need another hobby. Impressive work all the more so for the conditions you are working in.
Haha, not near finished yet. I still have to go pick up my front sub frame and install it. Should be loads of fun lining everything up again. As well there is a little frame work to be done in the rear, tack underneath and finish up the rockers. Then its on to doing the finish body work and paint it. Not sure yet what im doing with the paint between touching up or doing the whole thing. So yes, there is still lots to do, and oh yeah, replace the entire interior.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
This morning I applied a 2nd coat of por to the passenger front wheel well and strut housing. After it dried I installed the strut and steering knuckle assembly. use3.jpg . Didnt turn out too bad at all. Then it was on to the drivers side wheel well. I removed the strut and wire harness to give me free clearance for cutting out the rust.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] and welding new in.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
So yesterday we had another foot of snow dumped on us. As a result I spent most of the morning plowing out the drive. In the afternoon I seam sealed my patches and treated the metal with metal prep so it would be dry for today. Here's the strut and knuckle assembly laying on the floor. I know the flex hose looks stressed but its not. I laid it down with great care. use1.jpg . Here's a couple of before pics of the well.[/ATTACH]. Take notice of the white powdery look. That is a zinc film left behind from the metal prep. Helps fight the rust. And here it is all done.[/ATTACH]. Today I also re attached the windshield washer bottle, its lines and electrical, the coolant overflow bottle and air conditioning gear back to the passenger well. Just a little forethought, now would be the time to replace the 3 back spark plugs. With the motor dropped down they are easy to access. As well, I don't like the looks of the metal pipe coming from the heater core. Great time to change that over with all rubber hosing. I have about a foot of clearance to work with. That will make the job easy and we all like easy lol.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 174 Posts