Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Just a thought for you guys. How much of that rust do you think is from constantly tracking in wet salt slop from boots with no floor mats to catch the nasty?

I think your repairs look awesome.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Today after finishing up on the rear passenger floor, I moved on over to drivers front floor pan. Got most of the rust cut away. I cut further up on the firewall than I had to because i wanted to see what was going on with the subframe body mount. Its all good. Just need to prep it with rust converter and treat it with por15. For those who experience stripped bolts when replacing frame bushings, its the square housing you can see over the nut that rusts away. The only way I can see to address this issue is to cut the floor to allow access for a wrench. It was extremely cold today which had an adverse affect on my air tools hence slowing me down some lol. Tomorrow i hope to have the drivers front finished. Thanks people for the kind words and yes i would say that crud from our feet have a whole lot to do with rot. cheers.

use1.jpg

use2.jpg

use3.jpg

use4.jpg

use5.jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A little update. Finished the drivers side subframe body mount. Got to give it a couple of days to dry before I weld in new floor pan. So I decided to cut off the passenger side rocker panel. There is a middle panel that ties in between the inner floor wall and rocker panel, to enhance the structural strength no doubt. This needs rebuilt before i can tack rocker in place. Didn't get to the carThe last 3 days. they spent plowing out my driveway. Noooo, the driveway is not 3 days large haha. The switch for the blade gave up the ghost. good riddance to it. I spent the last 2 days reconfiguring a better switch setup. Ended up wiring a low current toggle switch to 2 relays gained together to achieve reverse polarity for the winch. The relays are rated for 40 amps so not sure how the contacts will hold up against the heavy current draw of winch. Sorry if im boring you, hehe, and no pics. Will have a few next post. cheers.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Just a thought for you guys. How much of that rust do you think is from constantly tracking in wet salt slop from boots with no floor mats to catch the nasty?

I think your repairs look awesome.

That is why I have a set of floor liners in the front of my Taurus and I put a set in my '91 silverado after having it completely done over a 1.5 years ago and I put a set in my camry I bought last summer, even though it's not winter driven. It really helps in keeping the carpets dry and prevents staining.

EDIT: Again, great job at fixing the floor and rockers!

·
Registered
133 Posts
54,000 miles, yes def worth it. With proper maintenance that car will go awhile. I'm at 170,000 miles with the original tranny. Yes the taurus needs work but hey, its a cheap car to run.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
electroguy75, how many miles are on that bull? I mean if its a low mileage 2005 then it would be worth it all that work.
Falcon nailed it, thks for watching my back my friend. I will give u a quick history
on it. It,was female driven, the wife of the mayor of a town here in Nova Scotia, and obviously not driven a whole lot. Saw it on kijiji for 500, called told them i have their money im buying it site unseen. I tend to do those silly things, drives the wife nuts( but this is for her so alls good lol). Add stated bad front subfame and wasnt drivable, hence the low price. found a subframe for 200, didnt pick it up yet, no hurry lots to do. HAHA
So to wrap things up, when u consider shop cost( cut off wheels, mig wire and such), I should have a rock solid(Ihope) bull with 54000 miles on the clock, on the road for under a grand. I dont think thats too shabby. Im retired so time is of no issue, as well I have lots of metal laying around so no cost there. It will be a lot of work, but i love doing it, so we will look on it as a 'labor of love' instead of 'work'. Thks for ur interest. cheers

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Finally, got to work on the bull today. this pic shows before, use1.jpg . from right to left, rusted inner wall, middle wall, and if u look close u can see the edge where I cut the rocker off. Heres a side pic,u can see the new rocker under the car. use2.jpg . Heres a pic showing the rust cut from the inner wall and a piece of metal 41 inches long 2 inches wide welded in use3.jpg . That gives me a solid base for welding middle wall and bottom of rocker to. The final pic shows the inner wheel well. The dark spots are where I welded in patches. the rest is surface rust. I will wire wheel it, use rust converter, then coat it with por15. Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got a little done this morning. Doctors app at 130 so had to wrap up early. Cut and tacked this patch in place use5.jpg . It ties the middle wall into the inner wall and is situated below the B pillar. The same will have to be done below the C pillar use3.jpg and the A pillar. Here's an end view use4.jpg . Might not look pretty(won't see it anyway) but it is functional. Here's a couple shots at a different angle

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So today i finished up the inner rocker on passenger side. I started with a strip 2 inches by 15 inches to replace where I cut the rust from the inner wall. go.jpg Here's a shot where all the rust was cut out. use1.jpg Next i tacked a reinforcement patch from inner wall to middle wall. use2.jpg patch completed. use3.jpg Again not pretty, but it will do the job and won't be seen. And dont laugh at my welds. Its freezing, i'm lying flat on my back welding up(hateful) and u need to be a contortionist to reach some of these places lol. Here's a shot looking through where i cut the rust from inner wheel well. use4.jpg the inner wheel well patched. use5.jpg and finally a shot showing where it all comes together use6.jpg

·
Administrator
15,075 Posts
Laugh at you welds? I am your neighbor (Maine) and I wouldn't even consider being on my back out there right now. Laugh at them? Hell, I applaud them. You da man.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Laugh at you welds? I am your neighbor (Maine) and I wouldn't even consider being on my back out there right now. Laugh at them? Hell, I applaud them. You da man.
Thks Jag. I knew someone from the same neck of the woods, dealing with the same type of inclement weather, would understand. Damn, we have so much snow I need cross country skis to get to the garage, and its that cold I need to turn the amperage up on the welder to get proper penetration. Just kidding, of course, but I thought it was funny haha. Today I have more plowing to do before I get to the garage. Its an old fashioned winter, one we have not experienced in over a decade. So yesterday I cut the drivers rocker off. No pics as it is pretty much the same as the other side and I dont want to bore u with repetitive pics. Im stymied on the passenger side until I purchase the required material to seal and undercoat the internals. After this is finished, I can weld the new rocker in place and its a done deal except for primer and paint of course. Thats all for now folks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yesterday, Thursday, I worked with the air chisel and cutoff wheel getting rid of the rust, drivers side. Today I cut a strip of metal, 17 in by 2 1/4 inches, and welded it to the inner wall replacing what i cut out. use.jpg If you look close you can see the emergency brake cable hanging and the exhaust behind it. Its also a good view of where I cut the old rocker off.

·
Former Moderpony
1,215 Posts
You, sir, are bat**** crazy. I seriously admire your skill and resolve; I would've junked the thing.
do you think your 05 had a bad galvanizing, or have you seen this as endemoc of 05 and 06, or is the salt in your area really really intense?
His case may be a bit extreme, but these things are kind of rust buckets. My '04 has a nice big hole in the drivers side rocker, rust at the bottom of every door and both doglegs, and the rest of the underbody I don't even wanna look at (no other serious holes that I know of though). Judging by others in the area, mine is a rather clean example.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hehe thks folks. I know it seems like a lot of work, but to me its a hobby, so work is really not part of the equation. Im retired with lots of time. Sure, I could spend my time on the laptop all day, but then i would be bat**** crazy (haha I like that) for sure. Or maybe become a greeter for Walmart, on second thought, i'm at my happiest laying out in the cold on my garage floor hahahaahaa. Lastly i'm building it for my wife which has her excited, and that has its benefits as well. Cheers for now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
electroguy75 is a boss. Good job so far man. That's one lucky bull.
Thks my friend. I'm in for a smoke and to thaw out for a bit. lol. Was out at 7am and finished welding up the inner wall. Now that i have that completed, it gives me a solid base to weld the drivers side front and rear floor pans to. That will be my endeavor for today. cheers.

21 - 40 of 174 Posts