Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been addressing a no start problem for a month on my 2005 Taurus 3.0. I'm at the point of removing the starter, which I have done before. I can't get the top bolt off and probably rounding off the head at this point. I soaked it with WD-40 and have tried multiple socket 6 and 12 pt with various handles. No luck. I don't want to completely ruin the bolt so I am thinking of....

Buying a 13mm boxed wrench and some CRC Freeze off. Is this plan sound ok? I've never used the product before but it seems like it would work. I'm hoping I can get the boxed end over the bolt or at least the 12pt side. My socket seem to not be deep enough to properly seat of the bolt. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just a suggestion, are you sure you are on the correct bolt? Have not done this in a while but don't think I needed a long socket. Maybe thread the bottom bolt back in to get a better alignment? I try to use 6pt to not round off the corners of the bolt. Can you tap on a 13mm socket, may not have the room or clearance. Good luck.

Scott

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I have used CRC Freeze Off and am not impressed. Bought it on sale to try and never used it after the first try just doesn't get cold enough. Think it is R134a refrigerant in the can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the correct 13mm bolt. I'm hoping I'll have better luck tomorrow with a wrench. I'd hate to have to tow the car for a stupid bolt but I'm running out of time. It's my daughters car and she goes back to college in 11 days.

·
Registered
61 Posts
can you get liquid wrench on the threaded area, and use a 6 point socket or wrench? Also a 1/2 inch six point is 12.7 mm. Make sure that isn't a 1/2" head which is slightly smaller than the 13 mm.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Maybe if it soaks overnight you will get lucky. If you can manage to break it loose you can probably get it out . A couple times in the last 35 years I have had to admit defeat and resort to a tow. A mechanic I used in the 1980's had an hourly fee schedule posted with some humor. $xx per hour, $1.5xx if you want to watch, $2.0xx if you tried to fix it yourself. I would definitely replace the top bolt with a new one. I hesitate to suggest because it could make things worse. After a dealer oil change on a Ford Ranger I could not remove the oil drain plug. Granted I had better visibility and access but finally resorted to the use of a Vise-Grip and was able to loosen. if you resort to a Vice-Grip and fail you will mangle bolt head. Since you have a little, though limited time soak it and continue to try. Something like this can be an enormous source of frustration, but equally rewarding if you solve the problem. Good luck.

Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try some PB Blaster. That stuff is the best I've used to date.

If this still doesn't work, and if im not mistaken, you should be able to CAREFULLY use a torch and heat the bolt up a little. This will loosen it up for sure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it were me, and I could get to it, I'd cut the head off of the bolt, get the starter out of the way, and then go at getting the rest out.

Aside from that, and more important, why are you removing the starter? No crank issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it were me, and I could get to it, I'd cut the head off of the bolt, get the starter out of the way, and then go at getting the rest out.

Aside from that, and more important, why are you removing the starter? No crank issue?

I had a no start problem. I eventually got the bolt loose doing the follow.

Bought a new 13mm socket. I cracked the old 6 pt one and the other I had showed wear on the inside.
The socket grabbed the bolt ok but it still wouldn't budge.
I used some Liquid Wrench penetrating oil and still wouldn't budge
I used CRC Freeze off and viola it came off. I'm going to replace the bolts. A 30 minute job took 7 hours over 3 days trying to get first the wrong bolt out then struggling with the correct bolt. Thanks everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
Automender12345
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing