Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, an old post on this forum helped me during my home mechanic attempt, so now I'm turning to you.

My car (2005 Taurus SE sedan) experienced damage to the transmission oil pan (I'm not sure how). Apparently over the course of about a week, almost all the fluid was lost. The car would start, but not move in any gear. A mechanic (not a transmission shop) said that they would need to get a new pan and refill the transmission with fluid before they could even tell whether the transmission was dead or not. I decided to do that myself to save some money. After cleaning everything out, patching the pan, adding 2 qt of Mercan V fluid, and checking for leaks, the car still does not move.

My question for the forum: I know the car can hold about 4.5 more quarts of fluid. Is there any point in adding the rest and trying to move the car again? Or should I just acknowledge that I've done all I can, and tow the poor thing to a transmission shop?

Thank you,

Alison

·
Registered
22,681 Posts
^+1. If the atf pumped out while you were driving, you probably need more fluid. I'd add 'til the atf is in the safe crosshatch area of the dipstick with the engine warmed up and idling.

·
Super Moderator
7,908 Posts
Fluid capacity is 10+ quarts. I doubt 2 quarts even fills the pan enough to reach the filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi everyone, I wanted to report that in the end, the Taurus lived! After adding 4 or 5 more quarts, it was able to move back and forth. So I replaced the patched pan with a new one (a process that became infinitely more painful when I accidentally broke a bolt), and in the end I think it took 13 quarts of new Mercan V transmission fluid before the dipstick showed it was properly full (tested when running and warm).

Of course, now something may be wrong with the accelerator cable. Oh well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts