Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
106 Posts
The Monroe Police/HD have a couple more coils, note that they are made for Police cars that are under a ton of abuse, high speed chases (100+ mph Highway Patrol), dirt roads at high speed, and in larger cities all the pot holes and all the stop and goes, they are made for high stress driving.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pic of OE vs KYB for G-4. KYB has one more coil in the spring, less chance of a break.
-chart-
I had two breaks of springs in the past (one front, one rear). What I noticed was that the spring breaks at the very last (bottom) winding and exactly above where the spring ends. So my theory is that during a rough handling the bottom end of the spring hits the winding above it, damages the spring there and with the salt on the road the spring ultimately breaks at exactly that point.

I'm not sure what that means for a thinner spring with one more winding (and thus the same spring rate).

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had two breaks of springs in the past (one front, one rear). What I noticed was that the spring breaks at the very last (bottom) winding and exactly above where the spring ends. So my theory is that during a rough handling the bottom end of the spring hits the winding above it, damages the spring there and with the salt on the road the spring ultimately breaks at exactly that point.

I'm not sure what that means for a thinner spring with one more winding (and thus the same spring rate).
That's what it prevents, my original rear spring broke and I compared the two there was 2 more coil rows that were slightly thicker and that was just the rears, slightly sporty of a ride but alot smoother ride, think of it like tire treads, the tighter tread (gap between the treads) the more of a quiet ride you'll have. The more coils on the struts can also handle a little more weight, you have to give them a little time to break in too, it will feel stiff the first 500-1000 miles, after that the car will feel like a Lincoln.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Pic of OE vs KYB for G-4. KYB has one more coil in the spring, less chance of a break.
-chart-
I may have asked already, but how was the ride quality switching from OE to those KYB's? I'm tempted to fork out for the OEM anyway, since the car will rarely see rainy days anymore let alone salt corrosion to snap a spring.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I may have asked already, but how was the ride quality switching from OE to those KYB's? I'm tempted to fork out for the OEM anyway, since the car will rarely see rainy days anymore let alone salt corrosion to snap a spring.
I was talking about the Monroe Police quickstruts and I put mine on a long time ago and I'm going to say 120-130(?). When you take an exit ramp at 70-75 when 40 is posted and my passenger said holy sh** the car didn't even dip, you know you have the best ones on the car.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts