Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back a shop put on the economy Moog blue struts for the front. I was in college at the time and the rears started sagging so I matched them on the rear.

As I've grown older, my Taurus is now becoming my 'hobby car' again :)馃槂 and I've begun to enjoy taking it out on for fun drives. However now that I am not commuting or interstate slabbing, I'm really hating how insanely rough the struts are. In comparison I now drive a 2006 Honda Accord daily, and the stock suspension is 1000 times better than my current Taurus with the blue Moog economy.

Looking on Rock Auto, the full Motorcraft set isn't available currently. I've been trying to decide between the premium KYB struts or the SACHS struts.
KYB's are $90 for the rear and about $100 for the front. SACHS are about $125 all the way around. I've thought about going with moogs again but my experience with my current moogs are pretty rough literally.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are your current blue struts Moog or Monroe Economatics?
You are right! My mistake they are Monroe Economatics, at least for the rear. At the time, I would have likely looked at the shop reciept and matched what they put on the front. So I'm reasonably confident Monroe Economatics all the way around. They are SO rough they just shake the car to death over any bump

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fwiw, I'd recommend KYB Strut + quickstruts. The black Monroe Sensa-Trac quickstruts would be a better choice than their blue Economatics.
Awesome! Thanks sheila! I'll probably go with the KYB's then. I figured anything would be better than what I have now, but I think this is the last time I want to change them for a looong while 馃槂

Registered
I got the OE ride deal on RA while back when they are on special closeout. Got two sets. One on the '03 Taurus and they ride like OE. Had broken spring on my Sable wagon, and limped to a shop where the used Monroe. Ride height about 1-1/2" high and rides like a truck. I have the OE second set in my shop for future use. Would like to put them on my Wagon and toss the Monroe's. Not enough time right now.
-chart-

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the OE ride deal on RA while back when they are on special closeout. Got two sets. One on the '03 Taurus and they ride like OE. Had broken spring on my Sable wagon, and limped to a shop where the used Monroe. Ride height about 1-1/2" high and rides like a truck. I have the OE second set in my shop for future use. Would like to put them on my Wagon and toss the Monroe's. Not enough time right now.
-chart-
I think that is the best way to say it, it truly does ride like a old beatup truck right now 馃槂 . Currently on Rock Auto for OE they only have a front right, and no front left. I know from past experiences ordering through my dealer usually has about 8-10% markup....I'll keep a watch and see if any come back in stock.

Super Moderator
Have had KYB rear struts on my 05 SEL Premium Duratec for 10 years, and they still perform like new.

KYBs all around on my 86 Tbird 5.0 V8 for 20 years, 100K miles, and they also still perform like new.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used Monroe Quick struts on my '06 500, I will never do that again.
I 100% agree. While mine were the super cheap options I'll be going with a different brand in the future 馃槂

Registered
You are right! My mistake they are Monroe Economatics, at least for the rear. At the time, I would have likely looked at the shop reciept and matched what they put on the front. So I'm reasonably confident Monroe Economatics all the way around. They are SO rough they just shake the car to death over any bump
Sounds strange to me. Without any doubt there are quality differences in struts and you probably get for you pay for. But if the car behaves differently, I'd say it is the wrong strut. Wrong spring rate and/or wrong damping factor. Unless of course you "lowered" the vehicle by installing different wheels and stiffer struts (to prevent the wheels from hitting the car).

Registered
I just did my mine with KYB鈥檚. I I did some posts with photos. All good. They often have mail in rebates if you buy four struts. I got a $100 purchase card. Still have to install the fronts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just did my mine with KYB鈥檚. I I did some posts with photos. All good. They often have mail in rebates if you buy four struts. I got a $100 purchase card. Still have to install the fronts.
Awesome! How is the ride quality??

Registered
Ride quality is absolutely fine. The secret of doing struts is to buy a $75 dollar air hammer. Mine is a Ingersoll. Believe it or not even a small compressor can run an air hammer. All you are looking for is a 5 second blip. I did it with a two gallon compressor. Eric the car guy has good you tube flick on replacing struts.

Registered
A while back a shop put on the economy Moog blue struts for the front. I was in college at the time and the rears started sagging so I matched them on the rear.

As I've grown older, my Taurus is now becoming my 'hobby car' again :)馃槂 and I've begun to enjoy taking it out on for fun drives. However now that I am not commuting or interstate slabbing, I'm really hating how insanely rough the struts are. In comparison I now drive a 2006 Honda Accord daily, and the stock suspension is 1000 times better than my current Taurus with the blue Moog economy.

Looking on Rock Auto, the full Motorcraft set isn't available currently. I've been trying to decide between the premium KYB struts or the SACHS struts.
KYB's are $90 for the rear and about $100 for the front. SACHS are about $125 all the way around. I've thought about going with moogs again but my experience with my current moogs are pretty rough literally.

Registered
What ever you do Don't buy aftermarket struts. I had bought me some aftermarket struts and had nothing but problems with them ( Monroe struts ) only lasted one year.......you need to stay with motorcraft struts. So i went to rockauto and bought some motorcraft struts, and have not had any problems for two years now. Also the rule of thumb is stay with motorcraft parts as much as possible.

Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut

Did mine with Monroe Sense-a-matic HD/Police issue quick struts, car has a beautiful ride and the handling is a whole lot better.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What ever you do Don't buy aftermarket struts. I had bought me some aftermarket struts and had nothing but problems with them ( Monroe struts ) only lasted one year.......you need to stay with motorcraft struts. So i went to rockauto and bought some motorcraft struts, and have not had any problems for two years now. Also the rule of thumb is stay with motorcraft parts as much as possible.
Yes I understand, and I would normally do that, but Rock Auto currently only have the rears and a only the front right listed from Motorcraft no front left. :cautious: They have the front right listed at $160, so if I went to my dealership for a front left, I'd be looking at $200 for just 1 front strut. I may end up going this route anyway but We'll see! That is why I'm trying to see if I can't get motorcraft, then what is my next best option...Sounds like KYB may be a good choice.

Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
Yes I understand, and I would normally do that, but Rock Auto currently only have the rears and a only the front right listed from Motorcraft no front left. :cautious: They have the front right listed at $160, so if I went to my dealership for a front left, I'd be looking at $200 for just 1 front strut. I may end up going this route anyway but We'll see! That is why I'm trying to see if I can't get motorcraft, then what is my next best option...Sounds like KYB may be a good choice.
Motocraft all have a smaller amount of coils on their springs, that being said, I never got a look at KYB quickstruts, (earlier in this post I use Monroe Police issue) what I can say is that the more coils on the springs the better the ride, handling and longer they will last, if you want to increase tire width, the widest width you can go with is 235/55/16s, 26鈥 class, (exact height of stock tires and correct speedometer reading) or 235/60/16s, 27" class, I have these, speedometer reading 60 accual speed is 63, full left or right turning will rub on the 60's(27" high) not sure about the 55's(26" high), this is the widest width that will work for the rear wheel wells. The car will handle like it's on rails!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts