Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Taurus has these codes and starts hard when it is cold and then revs up to about 2 grand. When idling the needle moves up and down alittle and you can tell it's not consistent. So I have changes the coil, plugs and wires with no luck. I also changed the fuel filter too. I am wondering about the Erg sensor and it's location. It also says it could be a vacuum leak? How do you detect and locate such a leak? Thanks so much for the help Colby Jenner

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Try tapping on the idle control valve while it's acting up. 2K is pretty fast for a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
On top of intake manifold behind throttle body. Silver cylindrical thingy with an elec. conn. and sm. blk. cap. Tap on it with handle end of screwdriver when idle acts up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I tapped on it and it did not do anything. I feel like when it's colder out it has a harder time start. Should I try and replace the egr?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Ok I tapped on it and it did not do anything. I feel like when it's colder out it has a harder time start. Should I try and replace the egr?
Since you don't have any egr codes, don't replace the egr valve-I don't think that's causing your problems. Take a can of wd-40, or starting fluid, when the engine is cold, and a rag to wipe off excess. If you have a vac leak, the engine idle will change when the starting fluid hits where the leak is, do this while the engine is cool, and at idle. I would start with the intake air control valve, mounted on the pass side of the upper intake (it's round in shape, and has 2 wires going to it). Those are prone to leak at the seams due to a bad gasket (c-topic finder, '04-up vulcan engine poor start). Another trouble spot is the pcv valve and hose. Remove the pcv hose, twist the pcv valve counter clockwise while lifting it off, check if it rattles. If you have a vac leak, you should be getting lean codes. The P0306 and p0304 codes mean those two cylinders have missfires, so I suspect wire/spark plug issues with those two, or a vac leak near those two cylinders, but the lean codes haven't come up yet :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so today I looked for a vacuum leak using wd-40 and could not find one. I also played with the egr and it is working. I unpluged the idle air control valve while the car was running and it made little difference. As for starting the car seems to start harder when it is colder outside. I am thinking it might be a bad injector? the codes say possiable issues are vacuum leak and bad injectors or high or low fule pressure. Any Ideas of what i should check next?

Thanks,

Colby

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I could not locate the pcv valve? to take it off and check it.
Pass side, on top of the rear valve cover, you can see the hose running across the top of the engine to the intake tube. It's a heated pcv valve, it has a wire harness with 2 wires connected to it. Remember, you have to twist it counter clockwise while lifting up to remove it, be careful not to break it, as it's plastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts