Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, excellent site and I'm happy to be here. Sorry for my first post to be a problem but....
I've got a 2005 Taurus SEL and it is in mint condition, never had a problem before. While driving home a couple days ago and without any warning or noise or anything, it was just as though I had shifted into neutral. It revved high of course but no gears. Now every gear is neutral so to speak, including reverse. Park works.
Checked the fluid and it is at the correct level, there are no leaks, it does not smell and is still pink.
Again, the car made no unusual noises, no change in shifting before this happened, it came on all of a sudden. No forward or reverse gears.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like the infamous tranny went. Look under the car and behind the oil pan is the tranny pan. It will have 4 letters on it (Like AX4N). Its a well known problem and sadly there isn't much you can do besides get a reman one. Before you just accept the loss however, make sure everything is connected and nothing came loose Sorry I cannot give better news

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
For starters, check the transmission fluid level cold (before starting engine), then start the vehicle and let it come up to operating temperature. Run the transmission selector through all of the positions, then while the engine's running check the fluid level again. Post back with the results.

Doesn't sound promising, but take things one step at a time before getting worked up.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Kinda sounds like the tranny pump, so maybe do, or have a line pressure test done. If you check/note the tranny fluid level on the dipstick cold, before starting, then if it doesn't drop after starting, suspect a pump problem.

Edit: If your OD light is flashing, have the tranny computer scanned & post All trouble code Numbers, as they can provide good trouble shooting clues.

More thoughts for consideration. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I checked the level of the fluid on the dipstick cold = 4 1/4"
level on dipstick after warm up and idling = 2 3/4"
So the results say fluid level is lower when warmed up, shifter run through the gears and idling.
O.D. light is not flashing and there are no codes flashing either.
Does this mean the pump is working but the torque converter is not?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
BTW, welcome to TCCA.

OK, good test & feedback. Sounds like the pump is running, if the fluid level drops after starting.

Interesting that you don't have a flashing od light, which would suggest that trouble codes are set. Has the od been lighting up???

Can you feel it go into "R"???? If not, make sure the TRS & linkage atop the transaxle is securely bolted down & its electrical connector is snugly fastened & no wires to it are loose or damaged.

If all thats ok, I'd have line pressure checked, to make sure the pump is providing enough omph for the torque converter.

If line pressure is ok, maybe suspect that something is amiss with torque converter control. Like a faulty solenoid, or electrical connection to it as mentioned above.

More thoughts for consideration, keep us posted on your trouble shoot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Splines may be stripped out on Torque Converter.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Splines may be stripped out on Torque Converter.
Bingo that's what I was thinking.

If mileage is low enough...just replace the torque converter, rear main seal, torque converter seal, any seals on the torque converter splines, and reinstall. $1000 job at a shop in the US.

The 04+ Tauruses (like the Freestar) are known to strip out the torque converter splines.

Use a Dayco torque converter as the replacement w/the improved spline design.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now we r getting somewhere, thanks a lot for the help so far. I'll do somemore troubleshooting tomorrow. Nice way to spend my holidays this coming week.
I don't think there were any OD codes flashing but I'll pay more attention to that, as well as check for proper TRS & linkage & connector fastening.
There is no feeling of any gear engaging and also, there are no unusual noises coming from anywhere. no whining or grinding, nothing.
But I'll report my findings tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yes definitely. One way to check for fluid flow....fire the car up on a cold engine. Check dipstick before you crank it. Let it sit for 30 minutes. See if dipstick level drops. It'll read high cold. Fluid has to be hot to check actual level. if level drops, your pump is fine. And you need a torque converter most likely :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, nice video Bull Geek, that makes it very clear now and does sound like what happened to mine. Doesn't sound like anything I can do at home so my boss's inlaws have a Firestone garage I'll probably take it to.
Thanks a lot people for the help and suggestions, this is an awesome site.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Can you feel it go into "R"???? If not, make sure the TRS & linkage atop the transaxle is securely bolted down & its electrical connector is snugly fastened & no wires to it are loose or damaged.
Check that connector for the shifter cable to the transmission linkage, eliminate the simple stuff first. They are known to break and the symptoms your car shows could be caused by as simple a problem as the linkage being disconnected.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
team bogus
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing