Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before. Problem began last fall. Doesn't happen while using A/C. The A/C bearing went bad over the winter, making a hell of a racket. Compressor replaced. Was hoping this had fixed the problem. Now it's back again. I've ran the A/C some this year without issue. Seems to happen more when it's real hot and I'm running the A/C hard. Any suggestions? Replace the relay? Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, car runs fine, no check engine light. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes less than a mile with the A/C on and the fuse blows. Will not blow if A/C off

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Well there are two things to do to narrow it down. First unplug the clutch wire from compressor and drive it with the AC on. If fuse doesn't blow then it maybe a shorted clutch. It it does blow a fuse then it is the wire for the clutch shorting out somewhere. Identify which fuse is actually blowing because the AC clutch fuse should cause the O2 sensors to malfunction. Did you replace the clutch electrical coil?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doubt it is the clutch; entire compressor was replaced over the winter. The check engine light comes on when the fuse blows, but not sure what the code is. I'm going to crawl under the car this weekend and see if the wires to the O2 sensors are damaged. Could it be the relay? I've seen something mentioned about an "A/C diode" discussed. Only about $15, thinking about replacing it unless there is just no way that could be the issue. Thanks

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
I bet your are getting a O2 sensor heater code or similar. I have seen it before on the forum that a shorted O2 sensor lead takes out the compressor and causes a few other codes. Wiring diagram shows the two use the same circuit. Those wires melt when they touch the hot exhaust and short out. Never heard of an AC diode in a Taurus.

·
Registered
22,851 Posts
My gen3 tecs had a little black a/c clutch diode (#33) in the underhood power distribution box. There is also a pcm and alternator diode(s).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts