Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2005 Taurus Car Noise & Fuel System Problem

All,

2005 Taurus, 50K, oil change every 3K - 4K always premium unleaded.

I am hoping someone can help relieve some of my car woes the past week. I have a vibration knocking rough idle noise that can only really be heard inside the car and it occurs when the car is driving at low speed not highway or even in park at idle. The noise developed about 3 months ago and becomes more pronounced once car is warm. I brought it to my mechanic who is a good friend and whom i worked for as an attendant in college. They listened with the long scope to the engine throughout and were having trouble isolating it. Simply does not sound like coming from engine. I left it with him and they thought it maybe a pulley which they changed to no avail also flushed power steering which is fine. My mechanic said that he thinks it maybe coming from the transmission and wanted me to have a transmission guy look at it to see. He agreed with me though the car has plenty of power and tranny feels fine, no slips no sticks in gear. I am just starting to get very irritated by it bc. its annoying, loud and worrisome and I take care of cars or fix them if they break etc.

Second problem...last week 100miles from home at night on 95 what appeared to be a metal hub or bearing from a tractor trailer came over the guard rail and bounced under my car (with a full tank of gas). Punctured a quarter sized hole in the gas tank. It was a Friday and nighttime and I was nervous. Finding a good service person would be hard so I opted to have the tow truck drivers service that I didn't trust throw in a used tank for $450. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have let it dump out plugged hole and driven home. I realized later a new tank is only $90. Well now I have had issues with the gauge it is stuck at F (I have filled it 2x) and after the last time went to total E before. I also tripped an emissions sensor turning it off an on 3x to see if I could get gauge to work. I put a Chevron with Techron in and have driven about 50 miles on it. Going to run it to empty and put in another. Should I change the fuel filter I can do that myself anything else I should do. I am wondering if it is bad gas or moisture being that the tank was used and probably came from a salvage yard that it was sitting in.

Sorry for the length but I am at the end of rope and have spent enough money on tow trucks and the like. Should I just bring it to Ford? Kind of don't want to burn through to much more money esp on fuel issue.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Is your vehicle a Vulcan or Duratec ? If it is a Vulcan is it a Flex fuel ? (FFV)

·
Registered
152 Posts
The probability that you have a contaminated tank is close to 100%. I would change the fuel filter quickly and not let the tank run anywhere near empty. If you can take out the tank and hot boil it better yet. You may start having problems with injectors and your fuel pump. If you continue to use it I would dump in lots of dry gas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The probability that you have a contaminated tank is close to 100%. I would change the fuel filter quickly and not let the tank run anywhere near empty. If you can take out the tank and hot boil it better yet. You may start having problems with injectors and your fuel pump. If you continue to use it I would dump in lots of dry gas.

Thank you for the response. I just changed the fuel filter but now I am more nervous I have really tried hard to take care of the care with regular maintenance. The guage is still broken the code that autozone gave me was P0172 For a too rich or lean condition and P0463 for the fuel level sending unit. This has been a royal pain in my ass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is your vehicle a Vulcan or Duratec ? If it is a Vulcan is it a Flex fuel ? (FFV)
It is Flex Fuel so I assume it is a Vulcan not sure of the difference. Anything would be great. If it was bad gas will the Techron fix the guage issue?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Sounds like the sending unit is done after that hit from the debris on the road, have you replaced the fuel sending unit yet ?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Not here to beat a dead horse.... but premium fuel is not necessary for your Vulcan... unless you are having pinging issues.... Otherwise it's wasted funds. Just FYI

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Okay, the strange noise that sounds like it's comming from the transmission could be the cam syncro sensor, there's thread about that in the topic finder. You want to replace it asap, as it also drives the oil pump. The P0172 means you have a vac leak. Check the pcv valve, the pvc hose and elbows for leaks first. You probably need to replace the fuel level sending unit, they probably messed it up when they replaced the gas tank. When I had my Vulcan Taurus, premium gas actually made the car run worse, it also took longer cold start cranking times.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for the advice. Not sure about cam sensor since it is not a squeak or chirp. I probably should stop running the premium just thought you get what you pay for. The car is my 92 year old grandmothers and I borrowed it 2 years ago with 12K on it since she stopped driving. I alway ran premium bc. I wanted to take care of it since it was not mine. I think I am just going to take it to Ford at this point I am just so frustrated. It is the sending unit but I heard that could cost $600 to repair...not sure if I want to do this at this time as I am planning on giving the car back in a few months and it will go back to sitting in the driveway.

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
Po172 = engine rich (bank 1- firewall side). Po171 = eng. lean (bank 1- probably a vacuum leak). 171 & 174 are lean codes. 172 & 175 are rich codes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like the sending unit is done after that hit from the debris on the road, have you replaced the fuel sending unit yet ?
So Ford just told me it was a bad sending unit which I knew already. They said that it would be $1050 to repair. I assume they are going to replace the whole damn fuel pump. I already have spent $800 between tow trucks and the new tank. I think the shop that did the tank was a shady chop shop being that I was in the swamps of jersey and it was a weekend. Do i replace the whole sender is there a way to clear the sensor so i can pass inspection. This is so annoying.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
That sounds VERY HIGH for fuel pump replacement, I would run the car down to 1/8th tank and drop it myself. Then I would put one of THESE in for 280 bucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts