Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2005 Taurus with a 3.0 motor. Yesterday, speedometer froze at 40 mph, fuel gauge and temperature gauge also don't move. Turn signals and windshield wipers don't work, only the third brake light on the rear deck works. Trunk release doesn't work, either, nor do the power windows. Any idea where to start? I've been through the fuses, and replaced one accessory relay. I am NOT anyone's idea of a mechanic!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
check you battery. a bad battery/low voltage plays hell on the bull. seems to be an issue with 04-07s. make sure its tested under load with lights, a/c, radio on

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
^^^^ +1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frozen gauges

I put a brand new battery in, same result. Anything else I can try, or is it just time to get it to a shop?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
The general approach is to make sure electronic control gets the voltage. Do not just put in a new battery. Clean/lube chassis and engine grounds, alternator output connection, all connections between alternator output and battery +ive. When you do this, keep battery cables removed from battery posts.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the symptoms point at different things. i would check the brake light bulbs. if you have power to the third that tells me the boo switch is good.
the gauges work off different sensors and fuses. did you check the fuses under the hood at the power distribution block?
also do an engineer test. heres the link
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...9931-experimenting-engineering-test-mode.html
if you are getting a read out from the sensors with this test then the sensors are working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts