Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fuel but no spark. No PATS errors. RPM/tach moves to about 200 rpm when cranking (testing for crank position sensor). On this vehicle, will the cam sensor move the tach needle if the crank position sensor dies? In other words, is there still a chance my crank sensor is toast even though I am seeing tach movement? Also, wondering if coolant temp sensor can cause this (if reading ridiculously low temp erroneously)? And lastly, if the key does not register with the car (which mine does) the engine will not even crank correct? Just wanted to make sure. Looking for some more direction this. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For what it's worth, my 99 Vulcan had good spark even when the crank sensor was bad - the sparks were just at the wrong time, so it wouldn't start. It did however throw the correct code. New sensor fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
7,923 Posts
You are correct that if the PATS key is not recognized the PCM will not energize the starter relay in the BJB which will not allow the engine to crank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jeff and Jiyu -- appreciate it. I am just wondering on the 2005 -- since it has a cam sensor AND crank sensor, is it possible for RPM movement at cranking even when the CPS is dead? In other words, can it pull tach data from either sensor if the other one goes? Or is it fool-proof: no crank sensor = no rpm/tach movement?

Lastly... Can the entire ignition coil assembly fail all at once and cause a no-spark condition? Also -- I should mention that the only codes I am getting are a p0420 and a P0172.

·
Administrator
15,010 Posts
Not a common occurrence for the coil pack to fail completely but the connector has been known to. Do you have power and pulse going to it? What does the PCM ground at the firewall look like? That is a fairly common fail

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update -- I ran codes with a more advanced reader and came back with a "stored code" of B1600 (which is a PATS code for "security key signal not received" or something like that). So it was saying that it was not an active code, but this has me thinking now...

Any ideas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts