Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, i am new, i am having serious issue getting to my water pump, now with the specs in the title, within that years engine there are like 3 variations. so i cant find ANY info to help me.

Im time constrained and need help.

whats the best way to go about accessing the water pump

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
First look to see if you have electrical one or the belt-driven one. Look on Motorcraft site with your VIN number and see what water pump they recomend for that VIN. Use that part number to cross-refference it...
If it is the "classic" belt driven water pump:
Remove passanger side tire and plastic shroud.
Remove the accesory belt - easyest is with a belt tool.
You have several bolts that can be accesed via the top part and the rest via the wheel wheel.
There is a small bracket with 3 screws that is connects to the A/C compressor - that needs to be removed also.
I had trouble with the hose clamps (the one in the bottom) - I strongly recomend to get new screw-type ones instead.
Get a new pump, not a remanufactured one (I got the GMB one fromAAP) . Use some water pump gasket sealant (little bags).

If you have the electrical one - I think it is similar, but I never really did it so...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
1996-2000 DOHC belt driven pumps are installed like you posted sonic.

However, 2001-2005 DOHC belt driven water pumps are mounted on the opposite side of the engine, running on a single belt.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I saw only the electric ones...
Really, they move the belt one on the driver side???

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I've never heard of the 96-05 DOHC engines having an electric water pump, always been belt driven. What did you find??? Have me curious now.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You must be thinking of electric power steering, I've never heard of electric water pumps.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I saw it on a 2005, not on mine... didn't pay to much attention how it was installed, I thought was stock.
I saw it on Amazon and AAP too:
Electric water pump.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Pulling out the coolant reservoir adds a lot of working room also.

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
Ford never used an electric water pump on any production car ever.

05 Tec pump is driven via belt off one of the front camshafts at the rear (driver side) of the engine. Belt is under the "24 V Dutatec" plastic cover. Belt is "stretchy" and is removed by pulling it off. A PITA to do. Removing the pump is a bit cramped, but not that horrible.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Can he use an old rag to remove the belt? Sliping it under the pulley and pulling it under the belt and "out"?

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Probably. Thats how i r&r my pass. side serp. belt on my gen3 tecs if my belt removal tool is hiding from me. Actually, its quicker. Just loop a shop rag, sm. towel or wash cloth under a top span and lift and pull.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts