Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The article was chopped for the important parts.

2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

Here's what's known

4 valves per cylinder; w/CVTC
HP 250+
TQ 250+
6-speed manual
18" wheels
Higher final Drive of 2.440
Higher spring rates all around
New Sways Front and Rear
Tire size is P225/45R18
Xenon lights

GARDENA, Calif.--March 31, 2004--Forged 18-inch wheels. Three-gauge center instrument cluster. Aggressive front fascia. Rear spoiler. Painted brake calipers. High-flow mufflers. Large diameter chrome dual exhaust finishers. Black leather-appointed sport seats. The Nissan Altima SE-R doesn't look like any previous Altima because clearly it's not. When Nissan launched the redesigned 2005 Altima in February 2004, it held one surprising element back -- the new Altima SE-R, which goes on sale at Nissan dealers nationwide in mid-September.

Serious, Sporty and Functional Inside and Out

For 2005, every Altima model features new smoked headlamps and taillights, a restyled smooth front fascia with a distinctive raised hood and new Nissan family grille -- which gives Altima a bolder, more athletic look than the 2004 design.

The Altima SE-R adds an array of special styling features, including a new front fascia, headlight bezel coloring, compact fog lights and dark window molding coloring. In the rear, the SE-R stands out with a new rear fascia and spoiler, smoked taillights and large dual exhaust finishers. Also visible are the new side sill spoilers, silver painted front and rear disc brake calipers, with the SE-R logo on the front calipers. SE-R badging is located on the rear of the vehicle.

The Altima interior incorporates all of the upgrades for the 2005 model, including a new instrument panel design with fine vision meter illumination, center console, trim finishes, 3-spoke steering wheel, seat material, headliner and added chrome accents and chrome door handles.

The most prominent difference between the SE-R and other 2005 Altima models is the three-pod center-mounted gauge package, similar to that found on the legendary Nissan Z®, with volt meter, oil pressure and fuel consumption gauges. Other changes include sport-shaped front seats and headrests with perforated red or silver leather inserts and matching stitching on the seats, steering wheel and shift knob, dark chrome trim treatment and aluminum pedals. The front seats are also heated, as are the SE-R's outside mirrors. Altima SE-Rs equipped with the special short throw linkage 6-speed manual transmission also feature a new gearshift knob.

Performance Worthy of the SE-R Heritage

At the core of the SE-R philosophy since the beginning is performance. The Altima SE-R's standard 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine will offer a higher level of tuning than the Altima 3.5 SL or 3.5 SE's 250 horsepower (final figures will be released closer to on-sale date). The SE-R also offers a performance exhaust system with large outlet pipes. The 3.5-liter V6 is part of the VQ engine series, which has been recognized as one of the "Ten Best Engines" by Ward's Auto World magazine for 10 consecutive years and features continuously variable valve timing, modular engine design, microfinished crank journals and cam lobes, molybdenum coated lightweight pistons and electronically controlled throttles.

The SE-R model is offered with a choice of 6-speed manual or 5-speed electronically controlled automatic with manual shift mode. Both automatic and manual transmission-equipped SE-Rs offer a traction control system, which uses a combination of throttle and fuel cutoff (along with shift schedule on A/T models) to help aid traction in off-the-line starts and slippery situations.

The 2005 Altima SE-R adds performance-tuned front struts and rear shocks, stiffer front and rear springs and thicker front and rear stabilizer bars to the Altima's advanced suspension. The front suspension design utilizes a cradle-type frame with an offset coil spring and lower transverse link layout provides better handling and riding performance and an extensive use of aluminum parts. The rear multi-link independent suspension, based on that used in the Japanese-market Nissan Skyline, separates the rear shocks and springs for reduced friction and the shocks are in line with the centers of the rear wheels, providing better damping and less harshness.

The SE-R comes with sticky 225/45R18 W-speed rated summer tires mounted on unique 18-inch forged alloy wheels.

Braking is provided by large (12.60 x 1.10t front, 11.5 x 0.35t rear) 4-wheel disc brakes with standard 4-wheel, 4-channel, 4-sensor Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA).

Source: theautochannel.com

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Torque steer....... is that when the steering wheel seems harder to turn for no reason at all? (kinda like the PS pump is goin?) I get this a lot in my dad's 2000 Frontier.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
No. Torque steer is when a FWD car accelerates the torque of the engine causes the front wheels to steer in response. If you've ever tried to launch a FWD car you'll notice the steering wheel tries to turn in your hands... kinda jerks to one direction. Limited slip differentials counter act this. Honda used a good system on the 5th Gen Prelude SH models that worked well. Newer FWD Nissans have alot of torque steer mainly because of a strong engine and unequal length drive axles.

Torque steer does not apply to RWD cars, although torque does cause the rear end to twist in RWD cars.... that's where panhard bars come in....

I'd say your dad's Frontier has something else goin on, like a loose belt, a failing rack or PS pump. My dad has a '98 Frontier 4cyl with 178k miles on it. He rarely services the thing and it just keeps on going.... good little truck.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Torque steer usually happens to high output FWD cars with unequal drive shafts.

Short Long
0---<]------0

Above: Crude Ascii Action by yours truly

I don't know how to say it technically or even correctly because I am not an engineering student. Torque steer occurs when the motor puts down a lot of power, but the front axle isn't able to distribute the power equally to both wheels because of unequal drive shaft lengths.

The longer, less rigid shaft takes longer to get the power to the wheel than the shorter, more rigid shaft, thus momentarily producing a steering action similar to drawing a curve with a compass.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Uh-oh. I'm starting to reconsider my Taurus....Seriously. Maybe buy one used in 2006 or 2007, that would be good and the bull will be getting on in age by then....
Hmm....

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Ew, it's ugly. I liked the old one better.

This car seems like it would look better in person though.

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
me likey.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Whoever designed the VQ engine should be getting a trunk full of cash by now...that design can be easily modified to make different levels of power. Though I doubt that the SE-R will make as much power as the VQ in the Z (just like the rumors of the original SHO's being detuned as to not outclass mustangs). So around 250-280 hp is what were looking at here? Nice...

Does it say anywhere in the article about a limited slip differential? I hope it comes with one.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Originally posted by 93taurusSX@Apr 1 2004, 05:00 PM
Does it say anywhere in the article about a limited slip differential? I hope it comes with one.
Yeah, pushing that kind of power, it should definitely have one stock. But I'm sure aftermarket will have it, but of course, that'll cost extra.

I like the front a lot actually. Pretty slick looking.

Hey Mark, what do you say we both get one and blow this place and ditch the FFVs in a couple years?

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
wow, that car looks great. I had thought about getting a used G35 down the road as a replacement to the taurus, but that might be another low cost alternative. I really like where nissan/infinity seem to be going at the moment.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Looks good until you read the price.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
A fully loaded Taurus SEL is about $28k also, so I think the extra refinement, handling, looks, etc etc etc etc is worth a couple grand. Not to mention the VQ35 completely owns any Ford V6 currently made.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts