Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad was at the local Ford dealership looking at a used Taurus ('97, vulcan, 102k miles, they want almost $4000 for it... yeah right...). Anyways, we've been trying to get my aunt in a new Taurus before she retires, so the salesman told my dad that 2005 was just announced as the last year for the Taurus, "we just got the news release today." :blink:

I realize this issue has been beaten to death, but has anyone else seen any "official" news on an updated early demise for the bull?

(And remember, I trust this dealership as far as I could throw it :ph34r: )

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
My boss at work was in the atlanta plant for the taurus and he said they will stop making them in 2007 and before it's retired it will have a few more minor exterior changes, nothing drastic

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the last I had heard it was still 2009, so either way it's sooner than we all would like, of course.

If 2005 actually is the last year, then we'll have to suggest something else for her, as much as I love the Taurus, I can't recommend buying the last year of a model run. I already talked them out of the Buick Century, which is gone after this year, for the same reason.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had someone tell me that too and that's what I thought until I read several different threads here. I see the post above me says 2007. There is another thread in here that says 2009. Either way I think it's a mistake to retire a name and a car that has been so popular but who knows, maybe the 500 will take off. It's not like Ford has paid much attention as far as marketing for the Taurus for years anyway.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Looking at the way the Taurus lineup was simplified for 2005, you'll probably see future Bulls, no matter when they end production, destined solely for fleet sales, with the Five Hundred, Fusion and Freestyle taking over the retail consumer sedan and wagon markets for Ford...

G

·
Ford has no plans to end the Taurus as of yet. The public affairs person I talked to at the Innovation Drive said they have no definite plans to end it because they need to see how the Five Hundred and Fusion go first because a lot is depending on them and the Taurus is the only thing they have to hold ground until the other two cars are well established and selling. So have no fear, the end of the Taurus is not quite as near. :lol:

·
Registered
517 Posts
i was thought that the taurus was going to be run with the 500 till 06 when the fusion comes out and 05 or 06 will be the last production year for the taurus ...

that is the hole point in replacing the taurus... to retire it

why would the keep to midsized sedans?

they are bringing in the fusion for there subcompact car for the contour and the 500 for the taurus the only reason they are running them together is to test the market and to get the fusion ready...

i think i heard that on blueovalnews.com

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Fleet sales already make up half of Taurus/Sable sales. Once the Five Hundred, Fusion, and Freestyle make it to the showroom, the only sales Ford will make for the Taurus will be to fleets - that's my prediction...

The way economics works, they surely won't keep the Taurus in production for very long once the new cars come out. Taurus sales have been dropping for a few years already anyway...Don't get me wrong cause I'm a big fan of the Taurus, but the question is, why keep it in production after '06 or '07 when the new models are in production? 2008/2009 and even 2007 seem like a stretch...Ford may say 2009, but since when do the manufacturers tell the truth about their production plans - lying keeps their competitors from knowing what's going on...Think about it, if Ford say they're keeping the Taurus till 2009, GM might be inclined to let the wImpala go without redesign a little longer...Ford will then hope to catch GM asleep by killing the Taurus earlier than expected and pushing a new model (even if this is a battle for fleet sales and Ford decides to boost production numbers by selling the Five Hundred to fleets and also overtake the wImpala).

just my 2 cents...probably not even worth half that...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts