Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the fuel filter in my 2005 3.0 OHV Taurus and the clips broke when replacing the filter.

The clips that came with the autozone filter were fatter and not as wide, and didn't really fit right. I went to the store and bought a Dorman ford clip pack - 5/16" and 3/8".

As it turns out these are basically the same thing as the clips that came with the filter.

Should I just force these Dorman clips in however I can and it will be ok? I don't see ford OEM clips for sale anywhere.

thanks for any help

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
I know the dealerships have these clips, but others on here have found another(cheaper) source. Do a search for gen4 fuel filter clips.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Many Ford dealers have them, it's just you can't find the part # on Motorcrafts website! I bought mine from the dealer, after fighting with the parts counter person, I asked for a mechanic. I don't have the part #, but I know most dealers have them. The parts counter will try to sell you the whole fuel line, so it's best to talk to a service adviser. It's ridiculous of Ford to screw Taurus/Windstar owners like this when it comes to a part needed for a simple maint task like a fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I also used standard cable ties as a temp fix until I
got the Dorman clips.

Here are the Ford OEM clips

7L3Z-9S317-A for the 5/16"

7L3Z-9S317-B for the 3/8"

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Was it the Dorman !Help! pack part#800023 you used? Others have said the skinny clip was contained in it. I have the ford part#s as follows: wide tank side - #4f1z-9a317aa for about $10. Skinny eng. side - #2f1z-9a317ba for about $7. Someone else claimed to source the clips from napa? Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Was it the Dorman !Help! pack part#800023 you used? Others have said the skinny clip was contained in it. I have the ford part#s as follows: wide tank side - #4f1z-9a317aa for about $10. Skinny eng. side - #2f1z-9a317ba for about $7. Someone else claimed to source the clips from napa? Good luck.
Let me add this:

4f1z9a317aa, tank side, this is the lower of the two interlocking clips. It is not the complete set. I haven't found the ford part number for the upper clip. Ford says upper clip comes with the fuel line. Is this true?

2f1z9a317aa: Engine side clips are available from NAPA NCK11, WIX WCK 11, Auto Zone also carries Dorman clips. All work well.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
FYI,
I often hear members using zip ties in place of broken clips. I am doing the same myself. Zip ties are made of nylon, which has A (from A to D) rate resistance to gasoline. I bought a package of black zip ties from WalMart that reads UV resistant.

How do you folks use zip ties? I put the broken clips back in place and zip tied on the tubing, kind of keeping the broken clips in place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The fuel filter clips are a joke. I got mine off in pieces completely destroying the front clip. I replaced it with a NAPA part #NCK11-1. The lower rear clip was also broken but I was not able to find a replacement. I tyrapped the rear clips on. Here is a photo. ('06 Taurus, 3.0 12valve)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also had to use zip ties. The clips that came with the Mann filter I bought didn't work, they were too big to fit in the receivers on the fuel line and the original clips that were holding the old filter snapped due to their age. Actually the zip ties worked excellent and were easy to install. Just make sure you catch or retain the ridge on the filter after you tighten the zip tie, you can actually see the ridge and zip tie edge through the window of the fuel line connector. Weave the zip tie through the 4 slits in the connector and tighten it firmly then pull on the connector firmly to be sure you catch the edge and that the connector wont come off while under pressure. Worked like a charm and the next filter I buy will be a Motorcraft original with hopefully the correct clips included.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
If you weave it in... How will you cut the zip tie next time?

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
The large clip is not a disposable clip I believe you push on the connector and it spreads the other section to release the filter. I tried the same thing and broke the clip. I ended up putting it ack in place and tywrapped it so it would not fall out. The smaller diameter clip is disposable.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I replaced the fuel filter in my 2005 3.0 OHV Taurus and the clips broke when replacing the filter.

The clips that came with the autozone filter were fatter and not as wide, and didn't really fit right. I went to the store and bought a Dorman ford clip pack - 5/16" and 3/8".

As it turns out these are basically the same thing as the clips that came with the filter.

Should I just force these Dorman clips in however I can and it will be ok? I don't see ford OEM clips for sale anywhere.

thanks for any help
I was in the same boat when i changed out my filter on 04 SES DOHC. this one only uses 2 small identical clips. the clips came with the filter(third party) was too fat. I bought a motorcraft filter and no clips in it. Called the dealership up and they only had ONE clip in stock and they wanted 24bucks for it. I asked why the filter didn't come with clip like others. He said you should only pick the clips out half way and it should stay there and you can pull the tube out. So the stupid youtube video about the pick the whole clip out is totally BS. to install, you could push clip in first then push tube through. the clip work like door lock, it only moves one way and catches the other way and you should feel a click. i measured the original clip, it is 2.22mm wide and 3.63mm thick on the arm.
I end up spent 1hrs use knife and sandpaper to trim the fat clips to fit. and duct tape it to hold it in place. so good so far.:p
Any one know the 3rd parts that fits please let us know. it was a real pain.
Doorman 800-023 looks right on picture and not positive. can some one have this part measure it out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The fuel filter clips are a joke. I got mine off in pieces completely destroying the front clip. I replaced it with a NAPA part #NCK11-1. The lower rear clip was also broken but I was not able to find a replacement. I tyrapped the rear clips on. Here is a photo. ('06 Taurus, 3.0 12valve)
the fat one seems to be the new style. the two pieces should be together and push one down release the other. google 9S317A, it might be the right part and it comes in PINKB) A21126-2.jpg

fuel.jpg
according to the ford part callout, the small clip should be 9A317.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
I was in the same boat when i changed out my filter on 04 SES DOHC. this one only uses 2 small identical clips. the clips came with the filter(third party) was too fat. I bought a motorcraft filter and no clips in it. Called the dealership up and they only had ONE clip in stock and they wanted 24bucks for it. I asked why the filter didn't come with clip like others. He said you should only pick the clips out half way and it should stay there and you can pull the tube out. So the stupid youtube video about the pick the whole clip out is totally BS. to install, you could push clip in first then push tube through. the clip work like door lock, it only moves one way and catches the other way and you should feel a click. i measured the original clip, it is 2.22mm wide and 3.63mm thick on the arm.
I end up spent 1hrs use knife and sandpaper to trim the fat clips to fit. and duct tape it to hold it in place. so good so far.:p
Any one know the 3rd parts that fits please let us know. it was a real pain.
Doorman 800-023 looks right on picture and not positive. can some one have this part measure it out.
Parts store have these on the Help board with a variety of types in each peg. I have 2 '03 Sables, same engine but they use different clips. For me finding the right box on the pegs was a visual thing. Worked fine. Best look at what is on the any Bull before starting this project. Zip tie will work too.

-chart-

1 - 20 of 22 Posts