Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I have been snooping around the forum for an answer but the thread either dies off or no answer (solution) is given. Now, I have a 2005 Ford Taurus that has approximately 152k miles. It's shifting pretty ugly from 1-2 gear. Basically, it revs up (a bit) and lunges forward (hard shifts). At start up the car is all dandy until it warms up. So... after a while the car gave a check engine light. Code: P0732 (incorrect gear ratio 2) was present. I did my research and it seems like Shift solenoids may be the cause. In order to replace the solenoid, the valve body cover/pan needs to be removed. I NEED to know if any one has performed the valve body cover/pan removal without removing the transmission on the 05' AX4N's. I have seen the forums and information regarding the late 90's AX4N but I am skeptical. I am sure changes have been made. If any one has done this PLEASE advise me as what to do or if the procedure is identical to the late 90's models. Guys thank you so much for any input ahead of time!!

-Matthew

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
Matthew, may pm member Bull Geek (Nick) for valve body cover removal info. Your symptoms also sound like a faulty oss sensor (vss). Hard/slipping 1-2 shifts when warm. Speedo operating normally when these hard shifts occur?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Bull Geek is his forum name. Just use the search to find him and send him a PM. I'm fairly certain he's done a side cover job on his Gen 4. With that said, replacing solenoids probably won't help you here. It sounds more like an actual valve body problem/restriction (or the intermediate clutch pack is simply really worn down) than an issue with the solenoids. The ratio code usually means mechanical difficulties with clutch engagement. It's worth a try though if you're really feeling adventurous. It's also possible to replace the valve body without removing the trans as well (I believe Bull Geek's experience comes from such a replacement).

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Just saw a post on a bad TRS affecting trans when hot.
Maybe issue here also?
TRS could affect feedback to PCM on gear ration/selection. Cheaper first step and easier IMO than tranny work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts