Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

it's been a long time since ive posted herebut i wanted to see what your opinions of a car im considering.

with my 40mile (one way) drive to work everyday my ranger is killing me at the pump.

I just got a promotion at my job and im financially able to take a loan finally!

I want something that is still sporty and not a bland turd lol but MPG matters

i saw this burgundy 05 corolla xrs at a local dealership and test drove it last night.

that car was friggin quick! lol

it has the 6 spd manual
the clutch feels great
31K miles on it new BFG z rated tires
the interior is immaculate

the front bumper on the bottom pass. corner has some minor rock nicks but no other body imperfections

they are asking 16K and got em to 13.980

should i get em lower?

how are the cars overall

its a toyota so im guessing its pretty reliable...?

let me know

thanks

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Being a Toyota doesn't automatically make a car reliable...

That said, I really don't know anything about them, as I avoid Toyotas like the plague.
If the car appeals to you, go for it.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
my parents have owned an 02 corolla and it was very reliable untill it was totaled

they just replaced the 02 with an 09 corolla

besides normal manitence their were no other fixes

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
the 2ZZ is a great motor, you can find it in the pontiac Vibes and Celica GT-S, and the 6 speed is great. I'd say go for it, although if I remember correctly the 2ZZ does require valve adjustments every 60k miles (sound familiar? 2ZZ has Yamaha heads!)

I tried to get my brother to buy one, but he wanted a 2 door so he bought a Scion Tc. That was in 06, it was an 07 model, and it has since fallen apart, paint is peeling (it is easily noticeable), front passenger wheel well just fell out while he was driving, and the headlights are fogged over because the seal came apart. Also one of the speakers was blown and the clutch went at 5k miles, but i think that could be attributed to my brother being an idiot.

Anyways, I think Toyota's should be better than Scion, the Corolla is slightly more expensive and not built on as much of a budget. Might check out a Civic Si though too, the body style on the 06+ are great.

Talk em to 13 flat, and go look around for Civic Si's that might be selling for similar prices, see if you can talk them down below 13. 16k seems awefully high for a 4 year old corolla, even if it is "like new".

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Corolla's are very reliable, I find that they are built rather well and are engineered for the long haul...not just to look nice. If you like the car, go for it!

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it does need prem. but my ranger is pinging very badly so im using prem. to resolve it. that point doesn't bother me

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
the dealor is prob going to look for 12-13k for the 05...corollas hold a good resale value

and the 09 corolla i tihnk my parents paid 17.5k that was for the le model though

just a thought the new corolla is only a few thousand more then what they want for the 05

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
the dealor is prob going to look for 12-13k for the 05...corollas hold a good resale value

and the 09 corolla i tihnk my parents paid 17.5k that was for the le model though

just a thought the new corolla is only a few thousand more then what they want for the 05
[/b]
that's depressing, my parents bought my SHO in 99 new, I know they didn't pay MSRP but it was i think around 25k, anyways I bought it from them 4 years later (same age as that Corolla) and it has lost over half its value based on what they'd paid for it, and was 1/3rd the MSRP value. That was only with 65k and no damage to the vehicle at all.

Lexus GS holds resale value amazingly well too.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
[/b]
All small cars are like that now. My dad went to look for an '08 Focus... the used ones were only a couple thousand less and they only had two or three. Nobody's getting rid of them.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>just a thought the new corolla is only a few thousand more then what they want for the 05
[/b]
All small cars are like that now. My dad went to look for an '08 Focus... the used ones were only a couple thousand less and they only had two or three. Nobody's getting rid of them.
[/b][/quote]

yea many people are even dumping their v6's for 4I's

my brother just traded in his GP for an 01 altima
my parents tried to get me to trade the Taurus in for soemthing like a cobalt...but we can see who won that battle....i love my v6 power lol

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Doesn't the XRS version require premium fuel? If so, may offset the gain in mpg?
[/b]
35MPG Premium >>>>>>>> 20MPG Regular.

All day long.

The Corolla is a nice ride, and reliable to boot. You'll like it.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
Doesn't the XRS version require premium fuel? If so, may offset the gain in mpg?
[/b]
35MPG Premium >>>>>>>> 20MPG Regular.

All day long.

The Corolla is a nice ride, and reliable to boot. You'll like it.
[/b][/quote]

You'll be looking at 25 / 35 i think realistically with the XRS. You gotta rev that sucker up to get anywhere (peak hp is at 7800 rpm, and torque is virtually non-existant), so it's gotta work pretty hard to move around town. Definitely is quick once it gets above that 5k rpm mark though

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Well yeah, but he's got a 40 mile commute, I'm assuming on the highway. I doubt he'll be running at 5 grand the entire trip.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Assuming the Corolla XRS has the same drivetrain as the Vibe GT there might be some concern about the clutch. Based on what I've read on the vibe forums the clutch is the weak link in the chain. Probably has more to do with the likely hard use (8000rpm shifts...etc) than the components themselves.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Buy the corolla.
I test drove a 05 Corolla S Silver Auto at my used car lot where I used to work at. They wanted $12,980 with 12K. I absolutely loved this car. If I had the money, I would have bought this car. They do get pretty good gas milage. The car is just about as comfortable as my taurus. I drive a 2000 toyota tundra its a decent truck but the paint sucks. I have chips and rust all over the truck. Toyota is known for their crappy clear coat so be careful. Just make sure to put a good coat of wax on it when you have the time. the Corollas hold their value pretty well. Even though its a toyota jap mobile don't take that crap from people. Its built in Canada.

The Pontiac Vibe is the same thing as the toyota Matrix.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Those are good cars if you're looking for the gas mileage. Being an XRS model you're looking at, you can do a few mods to it, run 14s at the track all day, and get 35 mpg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts