Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Taurus SE, gold, pretty basic....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to dig into why the car won’t fill with fuel, so I asked the kids to run it out of gas. Got a call from them yesterday…, “Hey dad…. The engine quit.”

I didn’t mean that low….

I pulled the neck to tank flex line and ran a fish tape through the neck. No restrictions there. Interestingly, it looks like all the evap connections are missing the locking clip.
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

Guess I’ll be replacing those..

I don’t feel like dropping the tank today. Maybe tomorrow. My theory now is that the tank itself isn’t venting. We’ll see….

·
Registered
40 Posts
When we replaced the filler on my son's 2001 there was a screen on the bottom of it. Pretty sure there was one on the replacement from Specter also. I'm surprised yours had nothing on the end. Are you sure you were able to go clear into the tank?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I disconnected the flexible line between the filler neck and the tank then verified the fish tape exited the filler tube. I didn’t verify the presence of a screen at the entrance to the tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
His filler tube had the foil cover from an additive bottle (Techron?) that was covering over 2/3 of the end of the tube. After we replaced the filler tube he could fill up with gasoline just like a normal car. The first time since he bought the car. Who knows how long it had been there. I do not think it could have been removed without pulling the tube from the tank. It was almost "glued" to the screen and only removed after the tube completely dried out.

The screen is pretty fine. I used a tip cleaner for a welding torch to push it out because my son wanted to keep the screen intact in case we ever used it again.I picked up a tube from Rock Auto on a special for about $25.00 and the oem was in perfect shape. We were/are chasing a "loose fuel cap" light. It was not the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where was the screen within the tube? At the end or somewhere in the middle? I think I read a post (might have been yours) about this and was hoping that would be the issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The end of the filler tube. The screen is about 1 inch inside the very end of the tube.
I took a picture of the foil and the tube after I removed it. At first I thought there was a "flapper valve" located in the tube to stop people from pushing a hose down to steal gas. After the tube was laying in my garage for a week or so I tried to move the foil and discovered it was not a valve but just a blockage and it fell out. The inside of the tube is stupid small as the foil is about the size of a dime.

Automotive lighting Automotive design Audio equipment Grille Motor vehicle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s definitely different than what’s in my car.
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Wheel

i got the tank dropped. It looks like all the evap lines were crushed between the tank and the car. Does anyone know if the lines are available anywhere besides a junkyard?

Wood Metal Natural material Silver Fashion accessory

Bag Grey Luggage and bags Gas Personal protective equipment

Also, the parallel line that doesn’t have a connector…. Is that an overflow drain?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the vent near the fuel pump is twisted 10 degrees. Rotataing it to where it points right at the fuel pump and moving the fuel pump harness to the other side of the evap lines makes things line up much better. I squeezed the crushed lines with pliers to straighten them. I’ll give it a day and see if it holds.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
That’s definitely different than what’s in my car. View attachment 221273

i got the tank dropped. It looks like all the evap lines were crushed between the tank and the car. Does anyone know if the lines are available anywhere besides a junkyard?

View attachment 221275
View attachment 221274
Also, the parallel line that doesn’t have a connector…. Is that an overflow drain?
Pretty sure that's the fresh air inlet for the canister vent valve solenoid. Opens when it's purging to the engine.

Unfortunately this mistake is easy to make when you're doing a fuel pump install. Whoever was there before you was probably in a hurry, lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On my son's 01 the pre-shaped hoses in and out of the charcoal canister were rotted out. I replaced everything with vinyl tubing and pvc connections from Lowes. It has held up so far. Any reason you can think of for your lines being jacked up? Has the tank been down before.

You might find some brass or pvc connectors at Ace Hardware or Lowes for lawn irrigation or something similar to repair the damaged portions if they don't straighten out overnight. Leaks in the evap lines can be a PIA and throw codes down the line. At least you can see a problem area. The junk yard stuff around here is often in no better shape than what is on the car. Sometimes you have to think outside the box. Good Luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Squeezing the lines back into shape seems to have worked. They held a roundish shape the next day and the tank is reinstalled. I spoke with the previous owner and got “it’s a funny thing, after <name removed> replaced the fuel pump, it would never take gas.” Lol. I’ve got everything back together except one evap line. Anyone know a part number for the 1/2” line that Y branches off the line between the charcoal canister and tank? Picture below:
Gas Plumbing Wood Metal Pipe

Just need the horseshoe retaining clip. I called the ford dealer…, They don’t have enough clarity in the drawings to identify.

·
Super Moderator
8,877 Posts
No need to get the clip. Push the two connectors together and run a zip tie thru the 4 holes / slots that the horseshoe clip would go thru and pull the zip tie tight. Been doing this for years on various Fords including the fuel filter connections with no issues.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Glad you found out the problem...I had that issue on my girlfriends car and it turned out the charcoal canister ruptured and clogged the vent line with pellets.

Info for anyone that might be having the same issue...
I pulled one of the tubes off the canister and charcoal pellets began to fall out of the tube(Quick and easy way to check if this is your problem).

They are clogging the tube from the gas tank to the canister, or from the canister to the vent. This happens when the canisters internal plastic membrane gets ruined and allows the pellets to move into the vent tube preventing air from escaping from your gas tank.

Try pulling these tubes off and see if they are full of charcoal pellets. One is the vent tube that lets air out of the canister, the other is from the gas tank that lets fuel vapors from the gas tank into the canister to be absorbed by the charcoal before venting out, reduces pollution.

When you pump gas into the gas tank, it pressurizes the tank some. As the fuel displaces the air, the air has to go some where. If it has no where to go it prevents the fuel from entering until the pressure escapes through the inlet where you are pumping gas into, thus causing the gas pump to backup and automatically shut off.

There is a tube running from the gas tank to the charcoal canister. The fuel vapors are absorbed by the charcoal and than vented to the outside. This helps reduce pollution and increases gas mileage. When the car is running, the fuel vapors stored in the canister are sent from the canister to the engine to be burned as fuel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts