Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this has been asked quite a few times.....but i guess once more wont hurt lol

I am wanting to know if there is anything performance wise for the 04' Vulcan motors?

Whether it be a peformance programmer or actually bolt on parts, but anything would be great to know.

Thanks

·
Registered
671 Posts
Is the search button broken?

PM me with what you want to do, and I'll blow your brains all over the wall with information.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The best bang for the buck is to sell the vulcan and get a duratec taurus, if you're set on Tauruses'. Otherwise unbolt all your passenger seats, door panels and sound proofing and toss it out. The vulcan is not a motor worth modding.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The best bang for the buck is to sell the vulcan and get a duratec taurus, if you're set on Tauruses'. Otherwise unbolt all your passenger seats, door panels and sound proofing and toss it out. The vulcan is not a motor worth modding.
I resent that.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Now, now, can't we all get along?? :lol2:

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Dang, youin some trouble now!
You dun got Rudy MAD!! :eek:

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
+1^ from a former Vulcan driver....best way to add 55 hp right off the bat....
(besides the fact there is no poorly designed CPS on it and they don't make chocolate soft-serve out of their coolant....)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well this is not an option! This is my daily driver and im not ripping out the $8,000 worth of stereo equipment through out my car.

In my eyes every motor is worth modding whether it be a a 50cc dirtbike motor to a big block 454. Everything is worth modding.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
The biggest factor that holds the Vulcan back, the camshaft. The two factory cam choices, the Ranger cam and Taurus cam, leave A LOT to be desired. Running the cam math and came to a conclusion what an all out N/A Vulcan is capable of:

258 BHP @ 6,000 RPM
265 ft-lbs @ 4,500 RPM

Parts considered coming to those power figures:

- Morana's 3.3L stroker crank
- Morana's Stage 3 heads w/ larger valves
- Ranger headers with custom exhaust system
- Custom ground cam 260/285 duration, .410/.410" lift

And that's it. Even taking the stroker crank out of the equation, still places it in the 230-240 BHP range. So you can see how large of a part the cam plays. The Ranger guys throw on the roller rockers, but never touch the cam and then wonder why everyone is going to a 302 V8.

So take that above figure and add the other small things, such as UDP or roller rockers or balancing the rotating assembly, etc and you begin to wonder why you would ever go to the Duratec.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts