Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Taurus water pump shot. Direct drive from DOHV to pump with no idler pulley. Not sure how to replace pump. Do I leave one bolt loose to rotate the pump to act as a tension er?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Taurus water pump shot. Direct drive from DOHV to pump with no idler pulley. Not sure how to replace pump. Do I leave one bolt loose to rotate the pump to act as a tension er?
Are you looking for directions on how to pull the water pump or just replace the belt. I've had mine off due to water circulation issues and can walk you through it. Mine has the belt tensioner on it, but removal is no different.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Putting the belt back on is easy.
Put the belt on the bottom pulley and pull the belt snug on to the back side of the upper pulley.
Secure it there with an 1/8" plastic cable tie, then turn the key just enough to turn the engine.
This pulls and seats the belt on the upper and the cable tie breaks on it's own as part of the process.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Replacing the pump itself is pretty straight forward. Remove the battery for much easier access. Biggest hassle is getting a few of the hoses off even with a spring clamp removal tool. Did the pump on my 05 Tec 2 years ago, and it took me around 3 hours doing it for the first time. WHile it is apart you may want to replace the thermostat as access is pretty easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts