Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Taurus that has been giving me some starting issues about 15% of the time.

Sometimes when starting the car, the starter will make a grinding noise like the gear is getting stuck. If I turn the key off and then back on it will usually fire right up; sometimes it'll take two tries.

Other times the car will just crank and crank when trying to start it. Again, if I turn the key off then back on it will start right up, though I have had to repeat this 2 or 3 times.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for? Bad starter? I replaced a starter on wifes old '96 Sable w/ a Vulcan; wasn't too bad. Is the 24V just as easy?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
lol @ your avatar.

That really does sound like something is up with the solenoid on the starter, or the starter itself. It's a bear of a job getting the starter out on a Duratec...won't be fun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bull Geek,

I was thinking along the lines of the solenoid going south. I'll look at the connections first. Thanks for the heads up on the fun I'll encounter removing the old starter.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thanks Bull Geek,

I was thinking along the lines of the solenoid going south. I'll look at the connections first. Thanks for the heads up on the fun I'll encounter removing the old starter.
That is often the case, since Ford decided to put the oil filter above it, oil dripping on the starter/solenoid will cause it to go out faster. Most oil change places don't care if they let oil run down it. I change my own, and put a few paper towels on it so oil doen't touch the starter.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That is often the case, since Ford decided to put the oil filter above it, oil dripping on the starter/solenoid will cause it to go out faster. Most oil change places don't care if they let oil run down it. I change my own, and put a few paper towels on it so oil doen't touch the starter.
The Duratec oil filter is at a lower and different place from the starter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
John

I'm having the same issue on a 2004 Taurus. Intermittently the car will not start but the engine does crank just fine. Did you get this resolved? Wondering how it could be the solenoid when all it should do is provide power to the starter to crank the engine which works OK. It should be either electrical - no spark - or fuel delivery. I hear the fuel pump come on. I'm thinking maybe the ignition switch or some wires to it. This is one of the things mentioned in the Haynes manual troubleshooting section for engine rotates but will not start. Somehow power gets to the starter and it cranks but power doesn't get to the coils to provide spark? So far turning the key on and off, in some cases several times eventually starts the car. Again, that seems to indicate possibly the ignition switch on the steering column.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts