Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So on a 2004 Taurus SE the A/C unit is frozen. When the car runs the belt wont turn the A/C pulley and just smokes a lot. Lets just say that money is tight and having the A/C clutch or compressor replaced is not an possibility right now.

So I am thinking of 2 options:

1. I found a youtube video that says there is a certain belt I can buy that is a little shorter that can bypass the AC and still run all the other stuff.

2. I remove the belt and use a crowbar or something to try and break free the A/C pulley so that it spins freely. Of course I wont have A/C anymore but the car will run fine I assume.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Any advice is appreciated.

Sean G

·
Registered
205 Posts
I seriously doubt you'll have any luck breaking loose the pulley. I'd guess the pulley bearing is toast...and, that will prevent it from being usable regardless of whether the a/c is on or not.

That leaves a shorter belt as your next best option.

I went to my local U Pick and got a bypass pulley for something like $8 as a backup plan. Of course, that requires removal of the compressor...which can be a bit of a p.i.t.a. Didn't end up using it as I got lucky and only needed to replace the hub and pulley/bearing ass'y to keep the a/c running. Then again, I acted immediately once I started hearing bearing noise and caught it in time.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
If the pulley turns when the AC is off or the car is off, then the compressor is frozen and pulley bearing isn't. If that is the case disconnect the wires going to the clutch coil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what do I put in this box?

Thanks for great advice from both of you. Disconnecting wires is a good idea because there is nothing to lose, its not working anyway. And I have never heard of a "bypass pulley" but who am I to complain if it works. I can change a starter or alternator but I have zero A/C experience so hopefully I wont have to mess with clutch pulley or compressor but if it comes to that, there is surely a youtube video that will help.

Thx for advice! :)

Sean G

·
Registered
1 Posts
They don't make a bypass pully for the 2004/2005.
I just bypassed a locked up AC unit on a 2004 Taurus with a Vulcan flex fuel engine. Used a 800k6 belt. It fit fine. Not rubbing the AC pully. The mechanic wouldn't do it because it wasn't to specs. Vs a $700 quote to fix the AC, cost me $25 for the belt and $22 for the tool. I'll open the windows this summer.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
If the A/C is locked, you do not need a bypass. Just pull the relay and all will be OK. Of course if it is the clutch/pulley, that can be replaced. Small shop charged me one hour labor to switch the pulley/clutch.
Depends on what is wrong.
-chart-

·
Registered
8 Posts
They don't make a bypass pully for the 2004/2005.
I just bypassed a locked up AC unit on a 2004 Taurus with a Vulcan flex fuel engine. Used a 800k6 belt. It fit fine. Not rubbing the AC pully. The mechanic wouldn't do it because it wasn't to specs. Vs a $700 quote to fix the AC, cost me $25 for the belt and $22 for the tool. I'll open the windows this summer.
I did the same thing on my '88 Taurus, measured and found a belt that would bypass the A/C pulley and ran it without A/C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts