Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
933 Posts
This very interesting. Thanks for looking this up for me. I took a spark plug out and it seems to pass all the tests I gave it including the scratch test, scrutinizing the ceramic portion and electrodes, letter indentions and packaging.
Really hard to tell. The Denso info is also not very helpful (I think it relates to an iridium plug, given the shape of the electrodes). Looking at the word "DENSO" engraved below the hex nut, your spark plug is obviously fake, but so are all other 4511 spark plugs sold online (including Rockauto). So that cannot be true either. Even the suspicious little dent in the ground electrode seems genuine compared to the pictures at NAPA and Autozone.

I would try to restore the situation when you only had the Coil C circuit error and proceed one-by-one. So first put back in the old coil (next to no work). Then put back in the old wires (little work). And if that doesn't make the power return, finally the old plugs (most work). If you don't have the old plugs anymore, you might buy a cheap set of copper plugs from a reputable source. Ordering them online (as you know we have a little discount at Rockauto) in stead of buying them in a shop makes it less likely that you get plugs that were "returned" (me suspicious?).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Really hard to tell. The Denso info is also not very helpful (I think it relates to an iridium plug, given the shape of the electrodes). Looking at the word "DENSO" engraved below the hex nut, your spark plug is obviously fake, but so are all other 4511 spark plugs sold online (including Rockauto). So that cannot be true either. Even the suspicious little dent in the ground electrode seems genuine compared to the pictures at NAPA and Autozone.

I would try to restore the situation when you only had the Coil C circuit error and proceed one-by-one. So first put back in the old coil (next to no work). Then put back in the old wires (little work). And if that doesn't make the power return, finally the old plugs (most work). If you don't have the old plugs anymore, you might buy a cheap set of copper plugs from a reputable source. Ordering them online (as you know we have a little discount at Rockauto) in stead of buying them in a shop makes it less likely that you get plugs that were "returned" (me suspicious?).

Good idea. I will try this over the weekend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This car needs a replacement transmission. The transmission line and EPC pressures are attached. These pressures fall below the acceptable window. Can anyone recommend a place I can get a reliable rebuilt transmission. I am going to try to replace this on my own.

Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern
Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern Number

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
270 Posts
Best bet is your local JY, and make sure you get the correct transmission (AX4N[19 bolt pan] or AX4S[17 bolt pan]), they both have the same driver side CV axle but Different passenger side CV axles, '04 had a large majority of the AX4S 17 bolt tranny (transition year), and make sure they have a record of the car it came from so you can check the VIN and make sure it's correct one from the donor car, how many miles were on the car, and through Carfax see what happened to the car and if maintained, and of course the lowest milage one, check the Sable and possibly the '00-'02 Lincoln Continental (very beginning of using the AX4S), Cont may only have the AX4N (stronger of the 2) since it's a V8. Good Luck

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
933 Posts
This car needs a replacement transmission.
Just like that? All at once without any earlier indications that there was something wrong with the transmission? I don't say it's not true, but that seems a pretty big leap all of a sudden.

I would go for the Forscan software (forscan.org), buy one of the two OBDlink adapters they recommend and have a really careful look at what the PCM has to say. Especially the TRS reading. Besides, now that you are willing to sink some serious money and effort in the car, this would be a real good investment (obviously the scanner works on any Ford model).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just like that? All at once without any earlier indications that there was something wrong with the transmission? I don't say it's not true, but that seems a pretty big leap all of a sudden.

I would go for the Forscan software (forscan.org), buy one of the two OBDlink adapters they recommend and have a really careful look at what the PCM has to say. Especially the TRS reading. Besides, now that you are willing to sink some serious money and effort in the car, this would be a real good investment (obviously the scanner works on any Ford model).
I will check out that website. I got this car a few weeks ago. It was from an older lady that had it in storage for a long time. I am unable to get in touch with her to see if any service was done to the transmission.

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
270 Posts
Hopefully that did not damage the transmission, you need to double check the ATF fluid make sure it's bright red and not brownish and also smell it to make sure it doesn't smell somewhat burnt. If it does you may have to do a transmission pan fluid change only, PLEASE DON'T DO A COMPLETE FLUSH it can or will destroy the tranny, and make sure that you clean the magnet and put it back in the same place, new OEM gasket and you should be good to go, closely monitor for a month and if at same level on dipstick there is no leaks. Good Luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It was a blocked catalytic converter. A local transmission place took it out for a ride and suggested this might be the reason. I took it out and soaked it in about 10% nitric acid (can probably use diluted muriatic acid instead, but wear gloves and goggles) overnight, then rinsed it very well with water. A world of difference now. Thanks, everyone, for giving me your thoughts!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts