Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I would use some high vacuum grease on the O ring to seal it up. Initially I would say use silicone RTV but there could be two issues with it. Some RTV will damage O2 sensors at least they use to. Second is that gas effects RTV. You can also just use adhesive tape to the joint to see it it changes things.
I tried silicone RTV first, before using the new o-ring but it didn't help. I will try the high vacuum grease or tape.

Thanks!

· Registered
7,990 Posts
I tried silicone RTV first, before using the new o-ring but it didn't help. I will try the high vacuum grease or tape.

Thanks!
It's hard to believe that RTV would not seal any vac leaks in that joint. I installed a new o ring on my 2006 and didn't have any issues sealing. I read that you can use a sealing ring from an oil filter also but cant remember which size. Is it leaking at the sealing surface or is there a leak in the valve it's self?

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
It's hard to believe that RTV would not seal any vac leaks in that joint. I installed a new o ring on my 2006 and didn't have any issues sealing. I read that you can use a sealing ring from an oil filter also but cant remember which size. Is it leaking at the sealing surface or is there a leak in the valve it's self?
It's leaking from the sealing surface.

· Registered
7,990 Posts
Okay, mine doesn't and I'm pretty sure the plastic inside the intake is warped or something weird happened to it.
Maybe a crack in the manifold. Maybe try Flex Seal brush or spray. Just to try instead of buying a new manifold.

· Registered
79 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Update:

I replaced the IMRC and did a smoke test and no more leaks from that area, but still have a small leak from the throttle body. Test drove the vehicle for about 10 miles and not seeing any changes to the idle. Also, disconnected the throttle cable and didn't see any difference.

I am debating if I should locate a used throttle body and swap it out.

· Registered
7,990 Posts
It's on line items 167 & 168
Thanks there is so much data. Before replacing the throttle body I would spray carb cleaner on the butterfly shafts and see what the rpm does. Also I think you did this already but if you pull the plug on the IAC valve does it go to 500 rpms. It there is a unknown leak the rpms should not drop to that level and should be higher.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Thanks there is so much data. Before replacing the throttle body I would spray carb cleaner on the butterfly shafts and see what the rpm does. Also I think you did this already but if you pull the plug on the IAC valve does it go to 500 rpms. It there is a unknown leak the rpms should not drop to that level and should be higher.
Yes, I did unplug the IAC few weeks ago and RPMs dropped but don't remember the exact numbers. I can try it again since the IMRC was replaced. Also, I noticed when turning on the AC compressor / heat, the RPM bounces up initially then drops to about 700.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts